Listings posted here do not necessarily qualify as internships for communication credit. Internships which require enrollment with universities other than SLU, or are part of academic programs other than communication, must be approved by the chair of the department of communication. This includes internships abroad. If you have questions, please contact William Tyler, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CreditCards.com is looking for college students to serve as "resident reporters." If your information is used in an article on CreditCards.com, you'll receive attribution for your reporting. According to the U.S. government's recently passed CARD Act, credit card marketers are limited in the ways they can approach undergraduates. CreditCards.com is seeking information on the following:
- Ever notice any freebie-offering credit card marketers near your campus? If so, please provide details.
- Have you seen any bank marketers on campus or at athletic events? If so, what product(s) were they offering?
- The CARD Act requires alumni associations (which typically enter into affinity card agreements) to make public the terms of their college credit card contracts even if only one student has been issued a card. Does your alumni association have an affinity card agreement? If so, could you share a copy of that agreement?
- The same law urges colleges and universities to adopt policies that restrict credit card marketing on campus. School officials require advance notice of when credit cards companies will be on campus and limit the locations where the credit card companies can market to students. Does your school have such a policy? If so, what is it?
- The law also encourages schools to require credit and debt management sessions as a routine part of new student orientation programs. Does your school conduct such sessions?
CreditCards.com, recently named a "Best Site for Managing Your Credit" by MSN Money, is a leading online credit card marketplace, bringing together consumers and credit card issuers. At its free Web site, consumers can compare hundreds of credit card offers from America's leading issuers and banks and apply securely, online. CreditCards.com is also a destination site for consumers wanting to learn more about credit cards. Offering advice, news, features, statistics and tools, CreditCards.com helps consumers make smart choices about credit cards. In 2008, more than 12 million unique visitors used CreditCards.com to find the right credit card to suit their needs. Please contact Christie High at 212-871-3020, ext. 114, or email@example.com if you're interested in participating in this effort.
- Shield Systems, Inc. - Intern wanted to assist office manager of small architectural sales representative firm. Performing the following duties: help organize and implement mailings, manage product literature and samples ordering items from vendors, receiving, applying company stickers and filing. Assembling submittal packages literature and samples for clients. Phone qualifiying sales leads from vendors, delivering literature, possible outside direct contact with architectural firms. Contact: Angela M. Patterson, Office Manager, Shield Systems, Inc., 5205 Bischoff Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110. Phone: 314-865-5550. Fax: 314-865-5556. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, visit www.shieldsystems.com.
- The MTV Networks Summer Associate Program is spreading its roots and looking to nurture candidates with a tech-savvy nature -- you know, the kind who have the high score on every game they've ever touched, the kind who leave silicone chips under their pillows for the Bluetooth Fairy. Attached you'll find the application which includes a plethora of information that covers every aspect of this competitive, ten-week paid training program for recent grads who are pursuing tech careers in the media/entertainment industry. If you feel you're right for the program, get to it! Or if you know of anyone who you think has the skills and attributes we're looking for, please pass this information packet on to them. Thanks for your interest, and if you have any further questions, please e-mail feel free to e-mail email@example.com For more information about MTV Networks please visit our employment website at www.mtvncareers.com
Full-Time Positions- Paid
- Illinois State Legislature Internship - Interns receive a stipend of $2,026 per month with student health insurance included. Earn 8 graduate credits in political studies from the University of Illinois at Springfield. Work as legislative staff with either the partisan staffs of the Illinois General Assembly or the Legislative Research Unit. Interning with the Illinois Legislature prepares interns for a variety of career paths. Interns work closely with seasoned professionals in the unique environment of the State legislature, while providing research and analytical support to committee leaders and members; analyzing agency budgets and taking part in crafting the state budget; handling press and newsletters for assigned legislators; and gaining personal access and building relationships with legislators, lobbyist and other state contractors. Interning with Legislative Research Bureau primarily prepares interns for research career paths. While working with seasoned legal and communication professionals, interns gain legal research skills; respond to research requests from state legislators; and help write official state documents and resources. Upon completion of the program, interns pursue a number of professional avenues, including full-time positions on a legislative staff; careers in public policy with a state agency or lobbying firm; law degrees or otherwise continuing their educational pursuits. The Illinois Legislative Staff Intern Program has a 48-year history and is considered one of the top ten internship programs in the United States. Applicants must complete their undergraduate degree by September 1, 2011. Applicants with advanced degrees are preferred. Applicants with a minimum 3.0 GPA are preferred for partisan internships and required by the Legislative Research Unit (LRU). Applications must be postmarked by March 1, 2011. Internships start August 16, 2011 and end June 30, 2012. Application materials are available online at http://ilsip.uis.edu. For more information, please contact Barbara Van Dyke-Brown, Director, Legislative Internships and Advocacy Programs, Institute for Legal, Legislative and Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Springfield, or call 217-206-6579.
- v-Fluence Interactive - v-Fluence Interactive, a leader in the field of online marketing and public relations, is seeking a full time Associate with a bachelor's degree and at least one year of related work (or internship) experience to join our Online Market Analysis team and conduct the research required to show our clients what's being said online and how they should respond. In essence, you'll become a client's "eyes and ears" online and will fast become our "in-house expert" on specific client issues, particularly as they transpire online, which will help ensure that your clients successfully achieve their online PR and marketing goals. Responsibilities include: researching the players and nuances of specific topic areas online (e.g., healthcare - diabetes drugs; energy - biofuels) via online and offline research; synthesizing information for clients (i.e., effectively summarize online content, such as an online news story or blog posting with client goals in mind); evaluating data that helps define influence and visibility for content and/or discussion that appears online; conducting trends analysis; and, developing and/or promoting functional/industry specialties (e.g., search engine optimization; social media engagement; healthcare; food/agriculture). v-Fluence Interactive, a leader in the field of online public relations and marketing , is headquartered in St. Louis and has team members in San Diego, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and New York. Associates are expected to work in the St. Louis office. Qualifications include: strong writing and analytic skills; excellent research abilities; ability to work in teams and individually; ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines; Internet and computer literacy, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint; experience with Internet production methods, including HTML, blogs, imaging, multimedia and basic Web site architecture helpful. v-Fluence offers competitive salaries and benefits. Benefits for full time employees include group health, dental, vision and life insurance; stock options; a 401(k) plan; potential annual bonus and professional development opportunities. For more about v-Fluence, please visit our Web site at: www.v-fluence.com/
- U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill - U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) is seeking applicants for a Communications Assistant to help implement both press and new media strategy. Duties will include compiling and tracking press clips, drafting press releases and advisories, coordinating the senator's weekly radio conference call, booking satellite interviews, drafting e-newsletters, assisting with the senator's presence on social networking sites, and overseeing press distribution lists. Applicants should have a strong interest in both traditional press and new media. Missouri ties are a plus. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trailnet - Trailnet, the region's preeminent provider of program, planning, and policy advocacy for bicyclists and pedestrians, is seeking an E-Communications Coordinator. Trailnet leads in fostering healthy and active communities through innovative programs, planning, and policy that promote walking and bicycling throughout the St. Louis bi-state region. This position reports to the Director of Development and Communications, and collaborates closely with program, administrative, and fundraising staff. The Coordinator serves as the organization's primary resource for internal and external electronic communications skills and leadership. Responsibilities include: website management, e-news design and delivery, social networking, graphic design and IT support. This is a full-time salary exempt position with competitive benefits. Trailnet is an equal opportunity employer. Download Complete job description (pdf, 44 kb) Resumes accepted only by email (HR@Trailnet.org). Please include a one-page cover letter, two or three web addresses you have developed or currently maintain, graphic design samples if available, and references. Trailnet is an equal opportunity employer.
- Fleishman-Hillard - Interns at Fleishman-Hillard have the opportunity to work with counselors to develop and execute traditional and digital media campaigns; write news releases, research papers, pitch letters and other correspondence; participate in new business opportunities; and coordinate events. Applicants need at least a B average and must have completed their junior year of undergraduate study, however, recent graduates are preferred. Applications are welcomed from students with concentrations in all major areas, but backgrounds in journalism, mass media, communications, public relations, and radio and television broadcasting are given first consideration. Experience in digital communications and/or media convergence is required. Please submit:
- Resume Cover letter expressing interest in the internship program
- Writing samples (three if possible): Examples would be something written for a classroom assignment (press release, pitch letter, media kit), a campus newspaper or magazine article, or an essay, letter, or memo of some sort
- Letter of recommendation from a former teacher, employer, or personal reference (teacher or employer are preferred)
This additional information can be sent via e-mail to email@example.com or mailed to: Intern Coordinator, Fleishman-Hillard Inc., 200 North Broadway, St. Louis, MO 63102. These intern positions are full-time, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, paid positions. Sessions: Winter/Spring: January - May (application deadline: November 1); Summer: June - August ( March 1 deadline); Fall: September - January (July 1 deadline). Visit our Web site for more internship program information at www.fleishman.com/careers/interlist.asp
Internships Outside of St. Louis
- Student Press Law Center - Internships for the spring (January-to-May) semester to work in our Washington, D.C.-area offices, creating content for our print and Web publications; We're seeking strong writers, with an interest in the law and in free-press issues a plus; We pay a $2,500 living expense stipend for the term - but of course, the real reward is to work alongside some highly committed First Amendment types doing work you will much love and long remember; Details on how to apply are here: www.splc.org/journalism.asp; Applications are due by October 8
- The Washington Center -- Intern in Washington, DC. All areas of communications. Financial assistance. Housing. See brochure posted outside Xavier 312 for details. Contact Claire Chase, Internship Coordinator, SLU Career Services campus liaison for The Washington Center, for more information. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 314-977-2829.
The Washington Center also offers several intern abroad opportunities through The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars. The following exciting summer 2009 programs allow students to combine study abroad with a substantive internship:
- The Washington, D.C.-London Program (now in its third year)
- The Washington, D.C.-Oxford Program (new in 2009)
- The Washington, D.C.-Sydney Program (new in 2009)
Designed as a seminar in the nation's capital followed by an internship placement with programming and rigorous academic study in one of the above cities, each program will help students gain a valuable comparative understanding of culture and professional life--an important asset in today's global workforce. For further information please visit our new website at www.twc.edu/internabroad or contact us at email@example.com.