- Graduate Studies
- Admission and Application Procedures
- Master of Arts
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Graduate Student Directory
- Graduate Student Resources
- History Graduate Student Association
- List of All History Courses
- Recent Student Achievements
- Funding Opportunities
- Placement Information
- Graduate Student Listings
Graduate students in history are highly motivated and have achieved high levels of distinction and sophistication at well-regarded colleges and universities with rigorous programs. You should have high GPAs (3.5 and above in History) from those institutions and typically have scored at or above the 90th percentile in the Verbal portion and/or 4 or above on the Essay portion of the GRE General Test. You should also have identified your fields/areas of study, your possible thesis/dissertation topics, and be looking to work with specific faculty in our department. To be considered for admission, you will need to provide:
- An official transcript of your undergraduate record and, for applicants to the Ph.D. program, graduate record.
- Recent GRE General Test scores (the GRE Subject Test is not required). Your score needs to be received by the application dates listed below.
- A current resume
- Three letters of recommendation assessing your promise in graduate studies.
- A letter of intent describing your professional and intellectual goals, and your interest in graduate studies. Please ensure that your statement includes the following three points: the specific field of historical study that are you interested in; how you would like to contribute to existing research and criticism in your area of interest; and the SLU faculty members you are looking to work with. While your plans may well change as a result of further study, your statement will help us to assess your grasp of the field, and your ability to describe your ideas coherently and compellingly.
- A fifteen to twenty page writing sample which demonstrates competence in historical writing and analysis, and which may be an excerpt from a longer piece.
To learn more, please visit our FAQ page
To apply, please visit the Graduate Education Website
Completed applications with all materials for admission and financial aid must be received by January 15. We do not admit students to begin in the Spring semester or the Summer session.
Important! Please do not forward any application materials directly to the History Department. All application materials must be submitted through Graduate Education.
For application forms and application information, contact:
Saint Louis University
One North Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Phone: (314) 977-2500 or 1-800-SLU-FOR-U
For further information on the Department of History, contact:
Director of Graduate Studies, Department of History
Saint Louis University
3800 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63108