Spanish Major Requirements (Effective Fall 2010)
Please note that some requirements have changed. The following requirements are effective for Spanish Majors declared as of Fall 2010. If you declared your major prior to this, please click here to see your requirements.
Total number of credits required: 30 (10 courses)
- 12 advanced language credits: SPAN 310, SPAN 315, SPAN 410, SPAN 415
- 18 upper division credits (above SPAN 415) in SPAN courses. These may be taken in literature, linguistics or culture.
- Students majoring in Spanish may take six credit hours of SPAN courses taught in English.
- Study-abroad courses may be accepted toward the major providing they have been pre-approved by the student’s faculty mentor in consultation with the Spanish major coordinator.
- In addition to the 30 credits, the student must choose one of the two following options to complete the requirements for the major:
- An additional upper level SPAN course (3 credits) or
- A Senior Inquiry Research Paper (SPAN 488, 0 credits)
- 12 pages long. A five- page version to be presented at the Department’s Annual Undergraduate Symposium celebrated each spring.
- MLA format.
- Must be supervised and approved by a mentor (professor in the Spanish Division) to qualify for completion of the Senior Inquiry Requirement.
- Must be approved by said mentor to qualify for submission to the Undergraduate symposium.
- Topic: any aspect of the Hispanic Literature, Language or Culture. Topic may originate on a paper written for a class, judged as meriting expansion by the student’s mentor.
- Mentor: If written for a course, that course professor is the most sensible choice to act as research paper mentor for the student.
- Contract: Both Student and Mentor must sign a Contract (see Contract form) specifying timetable for completion of the SIRP.
- Registration: If graduating in the fall, the student will complete his/her Senior Inquiry Research paper the previous spring. Registration will be done, however, in the fall of the student’s graduation year.
- GPA of 2.00 minimum.
- Register for Senior Residency (SPA 495, 0 credits) during the last semester at SLU.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
revised: KF 08/17/10
Spanish Contacts:Dr. Nil Santiáñez, Spanish Major Coordinator
In St. Louis:
Dr. Kara McBride (firstname.lastname@example.org)
| In Madrid:
Dr. Angeles Encinar (email@example.com)
Dr. Cristina Matute (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. Xelo Candel: (email@example.com)
Dr. Alicia Ramos: (firstname.lastname@example.org)