Requirements for the Minor in Spanish
1. A Minor in Spanish requires 18 credit hours beginning with SPAN 310. A typical plan of study is as follows*:
- SPAN 310.......3 credits
- SPAN 315 ..... 3 credits
- SPAN 410 ..... 3 credits
- SPAN 415 ..... 3 credits
- 2 upper-division courses.....SPAN 416 and higher
*Students seeking the Spanish Minor must complete 18 credit hours of course work regardless of the level at which they begin; that is, if students begin their studies with SPAN 410 and 415, they must complete an additional 12 credit hours of upper-division courses to fulfill 18 credit hours required for the Minor.
2. All Spanish courses to be counted toward the Minor must be completed with a grade of C or better, and students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
3. Transfer students must complete at least two courses in residence at SLU.
4. Courses designated as SPAN 416 and higher must be taken in Spanish.*
*Under extraordinary circumstances, and with the approval of both the course instructor and the Spanish Minor Coordinator(s), students can request permission to take one upper-division Spanish class conducted in English, provided that they pass the evaluation instruments that have been used for awarding the Spanish Language Proficiency at Saint Louis University.
All students seeking the Spanish minor and planning to study abroad must have all non-SLU courses approved prior to taking them. All non-SLU Spanish courses must be pre-approved by the Dean's Office of the College of Arts and Sciences. If the class is to count for the Spanish Minor, the College of Arts and Sciences requires that the Department also approves the course(s). It is imperative, therefore, that students planning to study abroad at non-SLU institutions consult with the Spanish Minor Coordinator(s) and provide a detailed syllabus and semester schedule of these courses.