Undergraduate ResearchUndergraduate Research
Undergraduate research is the department's second most important mission. Over the years, sophomores, juniors and seniors have been involved on projects covering many fields of physics. Some have even earned a salary while doing it!Quantum Mechanics; Gravity and Relativity Theory
- Ryan Wilson, ``Tree-Level Scattering of Scalar Particles in de Sitter Space, August 2004- May 2006.
- Rachael McDermott, ``Coupled Classical and Quantum Oscillators,'' September 2001--May 2003.
- Alberto Palomo-Lozano, ``Cosmocrystallography,'' January 2003--May 2004.
- Conrad Ramos, ``Classification of Mixed-Content Friedmann-Robertson-Walker Spacetimes,'' January 2006--May 2007.
F. J. Diez Garas and A. Achida. Topic: Computer modeling of He II flow. 1994-95.Physics of fluids
- R. Heine. Topic: Study of chaos theory. 1998 - 2000.
- Mike Bakale, Topic: Chaos in Simple Fluid Flows, 2004-2005.
- Grant Gerdelman, Topic: Blood Flow Simulations, 2005-2006.
- Caitlin Rochford, Topic: Planetary Waves and Weak Turbulence in the Ocean and Atmosphere, 2005- present
- Ben Hurst. Topic: Computer simulation of parafoil inflation - analysis of the early inflation phase; 2005 - 2006. Project funded by the U.S. Army.
- Ty Pershbacher, Becky Brocato, Eric Brighton, Thomas M. Farmer. Topic: Computer simulation of parachute inflation; 1997 to present. Project funded by the U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research and by the U.S. Army.
- Becky Brocato, D. Garcia, C. Manglano, L. Esteve, Roberto Montanez, Rod Kutz, Eric Brighton, Thomas M. Farmer, Tobias Hawthorne. Topic: Aerodynamic wind tunnel testing; parachute test drops. 1996 to present. Projects funded by the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research, and the US. Naval Postgraduate School.
- B. C. Fore. Topic: The electric polarizability of the proton and its implication for the spectrum of the Hydrogen atom. 1997 to present. Project partly funded by a Goldwater Fellowship.
- J. C. Criscione. Topic: Study of the quadrupole moment of the deuteron. 1990-91.
- M. J. Missey. Topic: Susceptibility measurements on YBCO superconductors. 1993-95. Project partly funded by a fellowship from the Council on Undergraduate Research.
- S. E. Braun. Topic: Weak links and A.C. losses in Ag-Sheated/T1-Pb-Ba-Ca-Cu-O superconducting tapes. 1996. Project partly funded by a fellowship from the Council on Undergraduate Research.