Requirements for the general track in the American Politics concentration
The American Politics track requires 30 hours of coursework, including the following:
Core courses - 6 hours
- POLS 5100 Seminar in American Politics
- POLS 5750 American Political Thought: Meanings of Citizenship
Research methods - 3 hours
- POLS 5020 Advanced Topics in Research Methods
Other required courses - 9 hours
- Three more American Politics or Public Policy courses
Political Science electives
- 12 hours electives, 6 of which may be an internship or MA thesis
Field exam - 0 hours, taken at the start of the final semester of coursework
All students must complete a total of 30 credit hours for the M.A. degree. No more than 12 hours of the M.A. may be taken outside the Political Science department; no more than 6 hours may be taken at the 4000-level; and no more than 6 hours may be independent study classes or internships.
Some classes have prerequisites. Depending on their undergraduate preparation, students may be required to take specific undergraduate classes prior to enrolling in graduate classes.
Exceptions will be allowed only with the approval of the Coordinator of Graduate Studies for the department.