- Graduate Programs
- How to apply
- Master of Arts in Political Science
- Why a SLU MA?
- Career Opportunities
- Who should apply?
- Accelerated BA/MA
- American Politics
- Public Policy
- International Affairs
- Gender and Politics
- Political Theory
- M.A. Thesis
- Field Exam
- Cognate Field
- Master of Public Administration
- The Dual M.P.A./M.A. in Political Science Program
- Dual J.D./M.P.A
- Dual J.D./M.A. in Political Science
- Dual M.S.W./M.P.A
- Ph.D. in Public and Social Policy
- Global and Local Social Justice Minor
- Paying for graduate school
Political Theory Track
The Political Theory track requires 30 hours of coursework, including the following:
Required core course - 3 hours
- POLS 5700 Politics, Rhetoric, and Culture
Research methods - 3 hours
- POLS 5010 Cultural Methods: Gender, Politics, and Power
Other required courses - 12 hours. Choose from:
- POLS 5730 Contemporary Political Ideologies
- POLS 5750 American Political Thought
- POLS 5760 Feminist Theory
- POLS 5780 Leadership and Culture
- Courses from other departments approved by the Director of Graduate Studies to satisfy this political theory requirement
Political Science electives - 12 hours, 6 hours of which may be in the form of an internship or M.A. thesis
Field exam - 0 hours, taken at the start of the final semester of coursework
All students need 30 credit hours for the degree. No more than 12 hours of the M.A. may be taken outside Political Science; no more than 6 hours may be taken at the 4000-level; and no more than 6 hours may be independent study classes or internships.
Some classes have prerequisites. Depending on their undergraduate preparation, students may be required to take specific undergraduate classes prior to enrolling in graduate classes.
Exceptions will be allowed only with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies for the department.