- Graduate Programs
- How to apply
- Master of Arts in Political Science
- Why a SLU MA?
- Career Opportunities
- Who should apply?
- Accelerated BA/MA
- American Politics
- Public Policy
- International Affairs
- Gender and Politics
- Political Theory
- M.A. Thesis
- Field Exam
- Cognate Field
- Master of Public Administration
- The Dual M.P.A./M.A. in Political Science Program
- Dual J.D./M.P.A
- Dual J.D./M.A. in Political Science
- Dual M.S.W./M.P.A
- Ph.D. in Public and Social Policy
- Global and Local Social Justice Minor
- Paying for graduate school
Public Policy Concentration
The Public Policy concentration requires 30 hours of coursework, including the following:
Core courses - 6 hours
- POLS 5100 Seminar in American Politics
- POLS 6310 Policy Process
Research methods - 6 hours
- POLS 5010 Cultural Methods: Gender, Politics, and Power
- POLS 5020 Advanced Topics in Research Methods
Other required courses - 6 hours
- POLS 5325 Intro to Public Sector Budgeting
- POLS 5350 Issues in Public Policy
- POLS 5360 Urban Economic Development
Political Science electives
- 12 hours, 6 of which may be in the form of an internship or MA thesis
Field exam - 0 hours, taken at the start of the final semester of coursework
All students must complete a total of 30 credit hours for the M.A. degree. No more than 12 hours of the M.A. may be taken outside the Political Science department; no more than 6 hours may be taken at the 4000-level; and no more than 6 hours may be independent study classes or internships.
Some classes have prerequisites. Depending on their undergraduate preparation, students may be required to take specific undergraduate classes prior to enrolling in graduate classes.
Exceptions will be allowed only with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies for the department.