Admission for Masters Program
The ordinary admission deadline is April 1 for the following fall semester. Later applications will be considered if space is available. In order to receive full consideration for assistantship funding, a completed application must be received by the Graduate School by March 1.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- An application form with application fee. You can apply online. Apply at: http://www.slu.edu/graduate/checklist.html
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Students must have a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
- A writing sample in the form of a 500 - 1000 word essay on how the MA in Sociology would help the candidate achieve his or her life goals.
- No single piece of information is necessarily weighted more than others.
The Sociology and Anthropology Department's graduate program highly recommends that you complete the Personal Potential Index (PPI) as another means for us to make an admission decision. The PPI asks recommenders to evaluate your non-cognitive traits that research indicates may contribute to success in graduate programs. The link for the PPI is www.ets.org/ppi/ or for the direct link to the application, http://www.ets.org/ppi/applicants/start/. Either site will give you necessary information to set up a free account (for GRE test takers) and submit names for your references. A sample report is also available.
You are to provide the names of (3-5) references who will receive a link to the PPI. You may (or may not) use the same individuals who write your letters. You may (or may not) use individuals who know you outside the classroom such as employers, individuals where you have done volunteer work, etc. By reviewing the sample PPI, you will know the best types of references. Applicants will receive an email each time a reference has submitted the form and when all are in, you need to go to your account to complete the final step that will send the information to our department.
For more information see the Graduate School website: www.slu.edu/graduate/