The Department of Sociology and Anthropology is pleased to announce we are engaged in a hiring search for: a Cultural Anthropologist and a Medical Anthropologist-Bio-Ethicist.
There's always something exciting happening in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at SLU!
- December 11, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Lauren Kohut, M.A., Vanderbilt University, Department of Anthropology. Her presentation is titled, " Archaeology and GIS Mapping", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- November 13, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Aslihan Akkaya, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Her presentation is titled, "Devotion and Friendship Through Facebook", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- October 23, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Rick Zimmerman, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, University of Missouri-St. Louis, School of Nursing. His presentation is titled, "Social Factors in the US and Global HIV Epidemics", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- October 10, 2013: Dr. Richard Colignon, Chair, was a panelist on Stay Tuned program, Nine Network of Public Media on October 10, 2013 on brain injuries in sports. The program engaged the issues of concussion and brain injuries in football and sports more generally. The aim of the program was to address what brain injuries and concussions actually are, what can families and coaches do to protect their athletes, what information our region needs to know about concussions and brain injuries in student athletics, as well as the sociology of sports in our culture. http://staytuned.ninenet.org/episodes/student-athlete-safety/
- October 9, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Betsy Cohen, Project Director of Regional Immigration and Innovation Initiative, The St. Louis Mosaic Project. Her presentation is titled, "Why St. Louis Needs More Immigrants? How Can We Achieve Regional Population Growth?", 12 PM - 1 PM, Cook Hall, Anheuser-Busch Auditorium, room L50.
- September 11, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Susanne Cowan, Post Doctorate Fellow, Architecture and Urban History, Washington University. Her talk will be split into two parts: an introductory mini-lecture and a film screening. The title of her talk is "The Origins of Community Design: Applications of Social Research and Participatory Urban Planning", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- August 29, 2013: Welcome home barbecue for our new and returning students, 12:00 - 2:30 PM, McGannon Hall Playground (in back of building). Food and beverages will be served.
- July 14, 2013: Town Hall Meeting, "The Immigration Bill: Hispanic Community Impact", 7:30 PM, Center for Global Citizenship, 3672 West Pine Mall.
Saint Louis University's John Cook School of Business will bring together a panel of thought leaders in the Hispanic community to discuss the impact of the largest immigration reform bill in the nation's history at a Town Hall Meeting at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, July 14.
The Town Hall Meeting format is designed to encourage an open exchange about the most important aspects of the new immigration law being debated in the U.S. Congress.
Participants will have the chance to brainstorm actions they can take to insure the best outcome for the Hispanic community.
- Joel Jennings, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Sociology and Anthropology, Saint Louis University
- Javier Orozco, OFS, Ph.D., Director, Hispanic Ministry, Archdiocese of St. Louis
- J.S. Onésimo Sandoval, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Sociology and Anthropology, Saint Louis University
- Kenneth Schmitt, Founder/Principal, US Legal Solutions LLC
- M. Leticia Seitz, Community Organizer, Metropolitan Congregations United
Saint Louis University will provide translation services for participants, delivering all discussions simultaneously in both English and Spanish.
The event, which is free and open to the public, will take place at SLU's Center for Global Citizenship (formerly the Bauman-Eberhardt Building) at 3672 West Pine Mall.
- May 18, 2013: Graduation celebration party, 1 - 3:00 PM, in Gannon Hall, Room 260. Please click here for pictures.
- May 7, 2013: Career Services presentation, "From Student to Professional: Acquiring Tools For A Successful Job Search, 4 - 5 PM, McGannon Hall, Room 260.
- April 9, 2013: Dr. Anna Nekaris, Professor of Anthropology at Oxford Brookes University, UK, "The Little Fireface Project: Saving the Slow Loris Via Ecology, Education and Empowerment", 12:15 PM, Carlo Auditorium, Tegeler Hall. Click here for flyer.
- April 9, 2013: Michael Holmquist, seminarian at Kenrick Glennon Seminary, will give a talk about his experiences in Kolkata, India. He spent two months working with the poor and Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity in the summer of 2012. This event is sponsored by the Anthropology Club. 4:15 PM in McGannon Hall, Room 260.
- March 27, 2013: Dr. Miriam Joseph,SLU Librarian and Professor, "Introducing Information Literacy Into Your Academic Programs", 12 PM, McGannon Hall, Room 262.
- March 19, 2013: Dr. Warren Anderson, guest speaker, "Linguistic Anthropology: Approaches, Misadventures, and Current Practices in an Undergraduate Anthropology Program", 5 PM, McGannon Hall, Room 260. Please click here for flyer.
- February 11, 2013: Brown bag presentation, "Faculty-Student Mentoring Event", 5 - 6:30 PM, McGannon Hall, room 260. All Sociology and Anthropology Department students are invited to attend. Please click here for flyer.
- January 11, 2013: Brown bag lecture, "An Applied Approach to Study the Spatial Hierarchy of Social-Environmental Risk in Saint Louis", 12 - 1:30 PM, Macelwane Hall, Room 342.
- November 13, 2012: Brown bag presentation by Carolina Aznar, PhD, professor of Archaeology and Biblical Studies-Madrid Campus. Her presentation is titled, "Archaeology in the Land of the Bible, The Southern Plain of Akko Project: SLU's Archaeological Project in Israel", 12:15 - 1:30 PM, Ritter Hall, room 26. This event is open to all Anthropology, Sociology and Forensic Sciences faculty and students. Please click here for flyer.
- October 31, 2012: Brown bag presentation with Michael K. Trimble, PhD, RPA, US Army Corps of Engineers, "Documenting Genocide in Iraq", 4 - 5:30 PM, McGannon Hall, room 260. This event is open to the public, including all Anthropology and Forensic Science faculty and students. Please click here for flyer.
- October 17, 2012: Mid-Term Pizza Party and Teaching Workshop will be held in McGannon Hall, room 219, from 12 - 2 PM.
- October 10, 2012: Father Lawrence Biondi, President of Saint Louis University, will give a brownbag presentation to the Department of Sociology and Anthropology faculty, 12 - 1 PM, in McGannon Hall, Room 144.
- October 9, 2012: Dr. Kee-Hean Ong, Assistant Professor of Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, will conduct a faculty workshop titled, "Using Technology for Research and Teaching, 4 - 5 PM, McGannon Hall, Room 260, all faculty, staff and students are welcomed to attend. Please click here to review the flyer for this event.
- October 1, 2012: "Sun Come Up", A film that shows the human face of climate change, 7 - 9 PM, Kelley Auditorium. Please click to review flyer for this event.
- August 30, 2012: Welcome Home barbecue for our new and returning students, 12 - 2:30 PM, McGannon Hall playground (in back of building). Food and beverages will be provided! Click here for flyer.
- May 18, 2012: Pictures from our Graduation Celebration in McGannon Hall, please click here.
- April 25, 2012: Diana Carlin, Associate Vice President for Graduate Education, (Saint Louis University) will present "Creating A Civil Society in Afghanistan One Student at a Time" from 12 to 1 pm, McGannon Hall, Room 211. Please click here for flyer.
- April 10, 2012: Arts & Sciences James D. Collins Award for Student Academic Excellence Recipient, Anelga Doumanian, was presented with this award by Dr. Gretchen Arnold
- March 28, 2012: Neelu Panth, Director of Research & Social and Economic Development, (Center for the Acceleration of African American Business) will present "Small Business Development: An Important Tool For Social and Economic Development" from 12 to 1 pm, McGannon Hall, Room 211. Please click here for flyer.
- March 21, 2012: Mid-Term Pizza Party will be held in McGannon Hall, Room 219, food and beverages will be provided, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- February 22, 2012: Dr. Joseph Galanek (Washington University) will present "The Social and Cultural Context of Mental Illness in Prisons: Implications for Interdisciplinary Collaboration", 12 to 1 pm, McGannon Hall, Room 211. Please click here for flyer.
- January 25, 2012: Dr. Kenneth Parker (Associate Professor for Theological Studies, Saint Louis University) will present "College In Prison Program", 12 to 1 pm
- November 16, 2011: Brown bag with Virginia Nesmith (National Farm Workers Ministry). More information will follow.
- October 20, 2011: Mid-Term Pizza Party will be held in McGannon Hall 219 from 12:30 - 1:30.
- October 19, 2011: Brown Bag: Becky Aldrich (from Occupational Therapy) will present a brown-bag discussion in McGannon 211. Her presentation title is "Discouraged Workers' Daily Occupations:...".
- September 22, 2011: Documentary: The Pruitt/Igo Myth, Tegeler Auditorium 6:00 - 9:00 pm
September 1, 2011: Welcome Home Event, McGannon Hall (Playground) 12:00 - 2:30 pm
Dr. Ajlina Karamehic-Muratovic
Dr. Karamehic-Muratovic has been awarded a Beaumont Faculty Development Fund: "Community Mental Health for New Americans: Pilot Research".
Dr. Karamehic-Muratovic is working on a grant titled: "Family and Community Medicine - Bosnian Study".
Dr. Hisako Matsuo
Dr. Matsuo's "Community University Health Research Partnership" (CUHRP) grant has been funded.
Dr. Matsuo has received a grant for a post-doctorate fellowship project for one year as well as a research account.
Dr. Juan Sandoval
Dr. Sandoval has been awarded a presidential research grant: "MaRRS (Mapping Risk and Resilience in St. Louis: An Applied Approach to Achieve Socio-Environmental Synthesis".
Awards and Recognitions
Congratulations to Dr. Juan Sandoval for receiving tenure and promotion to Associate Professor.
Dr. Scott Harris has been promoted to full professor. Congratulations Dr. Harris!!
Dr. Scott Harris received the Charles H. Cooley Award from the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction (SSSI). The society gives the award annually to recognize a book that makes an important contribution in the field of symbolic interaction.
Dr. Scott Harris has become Editor-in-Chief of the journal, Sociology Compass, published by Wiley-Blackwell. http://sociology-compass.com/editors/
Katherine Newman was the recipient of the 2013 James D. Collins Award for Student Academic Excellence. She was honored at the Arts & Sciences Award Ceremony on April 9, 2013. The 2013 book award was "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life".
Paul Monahan was the recipient of the 2013 William (Bill) Monahan Award for his contribution to social justice and service.
Anelga Doumanian was the recipient of the 2012 James D. Collins Award for Student Academic Excellence. She was honored at the Arts & Sciences Award Ceremony on April 10, 2012 and received a medallion and a book award titled, "Between Heaven and Mirth" by James Martin.
Michael Finocchiaro was the recipient of the 2012 William Monahan Award which recognizes a student for their contribution to social justice and service.
Who's Who Among College Students Nominees for 2012 are:
Maggie Heyduk (Anthropology)
John J. Newcomer, was the recipient of the 2011 James D. Collins Award for Excellence in Student Academic Achievement. He was honored at the Arts & Sciences Award Ceremony on April 12, 2011.
Tyler Irvine, was the recipient of the 2011 William Monahan Award which recognizes a student for their contribution to social justice and service.
Who's Who Nominees for 2010-2011:
Vince Hernandez (Sociology) and Roberta Singer (Anthropology)
Congratulations to all our faculty and students for their outstanding achievements this year!!
The Department of Sociology and Anthropology will periodically introduce new courses. For a detailed listing of course offerings, please click on the links below:
All Course Offerings