The MA Director serves as the student's initial advisor. As the student's academic focus becomes clear, the student may seek out an advisor from among members of the faculty whose area of specialization is similar to the student's and who can best direct the student's studies. The student is then to inform the MA Director of the advisor he or she has chosen. Throughout the duration of the program, students meet once each semester with the MA Director at the time of registration to review progress in the program and discuss choices for the upcoming semester.
- Communicate regularly with the advisor.
- Investigate and plan scheduling possibilities.
- Learn and follow all requirements, procedures, and deadlines of the department and of Graduate Education.
- Be familiar with the overall program and the student's interests.
- Confer regularly and to help and guide the student.
- Be aware of the duties of research assistants.
- Know Graduate Education policies.