Serving healthcare needs nationwide
SLUCare's full-service dermatopathology laboratory is a clinical and academic laboratory that serves healthcare needs in St. Louis and nationwide, while maintaining personal service tailored to meet the diverse needs of our patients. Founded in 1992, the laboratory is staffed exclusively by board-certified dermatopathologists.
M. Yadira Hurley, M.D., director of the Division of Dermatopathology, completed her dermatology residency and dermatopathology fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine. Nicole M. Burkemper, M.D., completed her dermatology residency and dermatopathology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. Claudia I. Vidal, M.D., PhD, completed her anatomic pathology residency and dermatopathology fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Our dermatology-trained faculty use their patient care knowledge and clinical experience to optimize clinicopathologic correlation. The pathology-trained faculty completes the breadth of expertise. The laboratory provides customer focused and comprehensive dermatopathology services for our referring physicians and their patients.
The processing of specimens is managed at the Anheuser-Busch Institute by highly skilled laboratory staff. Referring physicians can expect rapid turnaround time for routine biopsies. Diagnostic services provided include: processing of routine specimens, staged excisions (slow Mohs) specimens, direct immunofluorescence testing and a comprehensive immunohistochemistry and histochemical stain menu.
1755 South Grand Blvd.
5th floor (Lab 5B)
St. Louis MO 63104
- CAP Accreditation
- CLIA Certified
- Processing of routine specimens
- Staged excisions (Slow Mohs) specimens
- Direct immunofluorescence testing
- Comprehensive immunohistochemistry and histochemical stain menu
- Analysis by PAS stain of nail plate for fungus
- Diagnostic consultation on referred material
- Peer review for all melanomas and complex cases
- Round table discussion of complex cases
- Alopecia: horizontal and vertical processing of hair loss specimens
- Customer focused dermatopathology laboratory
- Prompt turn around time for routine specimens
- Clinically integrated approach to dermatopathology with access to our dermatopathologists
- Data integrated and real time diagnostic reports:
- Secure report access via internet https://dermpath.slu.edu
- EMR report delivery
- User friendly requisitions that are specific to skin specimens
- Specimen pickup by courier service or priority overnight shipping
- Contracted with most health insurance providers with real time electronic billing
- All melanoma and critical diagnoses personally communicated to the referring clinician
- Exclusive laboratory staff available for all service and billing issues