- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees the university's animal care and use programs, facilities and procedures ensuring the appropriate care, use and humane treatment of animals being used for research, testing and education.
- is responsible for reviewing all requests for approval to use vertebrate animals, ensuring compliance with federal regulations.
- performs inspections of all areas and laboratories where animals are housed and used.
- oversees training and educational programs related to the use of these animals.
- serves as a resource to faculty, investigators, technicians, students, staff, and administrators, providing guidance in fulfilling the obligation to plan and conduct all animal use procedures with the highest scientific, humane, and ethical principles.
- inspects research laboratories to observe surgical procedures and all animal studies to assure that animals are being used according to approved methods and to assure they are receiving humane treatment.