Elevator entrapments are uncommon, but because elevators are mechanical devices, failure is possible.
If you become trapped:
- Remain calm.
- Use the emergency elevator phone or alarm button to call for help.
- Do not attempt to pry open doors.
- Do not attempt to use the overhead hatch.
- Emergency assistance will be directed to your location.
If you believe someone is trapped in an elevator:
- Contact the Department of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness at (314) 977-3000.
- Be prepared to tell the dispatcher on what floor you believe the person(s) is trapped.
- Talk to the person(s) inside of the elevator by yelling through the door.
- Remind them to remain calm and assure them assistance is on the way.