- Campus Operations
- Buildings & Grounds
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Recycling & Waste Reduction
- Batteries and Light Bulbs
- Electronics Recycling
- Ink and Toner Cartridges
- Single-Stream Recycling
- Benchmarking Initiatives
- Sustainability Staff
We recycle anything with a cord!
|Year round collection is available for:||One-day collection event:|
|Appliances and Bulk Electronics and||Annual E-Waste Drive|
Recycling electronic waste, such as appliances and electronics, recovers rare materials that can be reused instead of lost to landfills and incinerators. E-waste recycling reduces the number of harmful materials that enter the environment, such as lead and heavy metals.
Have something you want to get rid of now?
Place a service request to have it picked up by Facilities Services.
Saint Louis University is dedicated to keeping hazardous materials from entering landfills. To do so, Facilities Services has developed a partnership with Midwest Recycling Center, a nationally certified electronics recycling hauler. A space is provided at Earhart Hall for the storage of larger recyclable items. In addition, Facilities Services offers an "anything with a cord" annual recycling drive that is open to the SLU campuses and St. Louis community to dispose of broken/unwanted electronics, appliances, etc. in a more environmentally friendly manner.
* MRC provides Saint Louis University with a Certificate of Proper Recycling, which documents what materials transferred ownership at each pickup.
Accepted items include:
- Most items powered by batteries or electricity
- Detailed list of acceptable items
SLU collects many everyday electronic-waste items that can be recycled but are not considered bulk e-waste. These items include:
- Cell phones
- iPods/MP3 players
- Digital cameras
- Video games and consoles
- DVD movies
- GPS devices
- PDAs and tablets/eReaders/notebooks
- Ink and laser printer cartridges
The program is ongoing and ensures that the items are kept out of landfills.
Look for e-waste collection boxes in the following locations:
- Pius Library Circulation Desk (across from Einstein Bros. Bagels)
- Student Government Association Office, Suite 236, BSC (across from BSC front desk)
- Applied Health Atrium (Medical Campus)
- Salus Center Student lounge (Room 1401D - on the first floor, across from the auditorium)
To help us actively monitor these locations and promote sustainability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice a box has been filled and needs emptied.
Recycling Media ACT
Although SLU does not currently have a program for recycling media, this type of e-waste can be mailed directly to Alternative Community Training (ACT). ACT is able to recycle VHS tapes, CDs, DVDS, Blue-Rays, and virtually all of the plastic storage cases for these tapes and discs). ACT is unable to recycle the white vinyl (Disney-style) VHS cases. Fees to recycle media are based on the weight of the products to be recycled.
Find out more information from ACT by visiting their website here.
For more information about electronics recycling and organizations accepting electronic waste, please visit the City of St. Louis website.