SLU participates in the nationwide inter-collegiate competition called RECYCLEMANIA. The premise is simple - the school who recycles the most per capita, as measured on a weekly basis, wins!
The competition is a way to help our school, our community and the environment by being especially conscious about what we throw away. SLU SGA's office provided Recyclemania buttons and asked students to take the recycling pledge.
Results for 2012
- (9th out of 10 MO schools with 21.08%) The Grand Champion category combines trash and each of the core recyclable materials to determine a school's recycling rate as a percentage of its overall waste generation
- (5th out of 9 with 11.24 lbs/person) In the per Capita category schools compete to see which can collect the largest combined amount of paper, cardboard and bottles and cans on a per person basis.
- (3rd out of10 with 190,860 lbs)The Gorilla Prize category recognizes schools that recycle the highest gross tonnage of combined paper, cardboard and bottle and cans regardless of campus population.
Results for 2011
- (4th out of 7 MO schools with 22.49%) - Grand Champion category
- (5th out of 8 with 7.93 lbs/person) - Per Capita category
- (4th out of 8 with 110,832 lbs) - Gorilla category
Read the STL Higher Ed Sustainability Consortium's 2011 RecycleMania St. Louis Regional results bulletin for further information on the region's increased recycling focus.