SLUstainability Month 2016
October 1 - 31, 2016
October marks the beginning of the annual SLUstainability Month from October 1-31st, sponsored by the Office of Sustainability & Benchmarking. This year three themes will run throughout the month, with each theme representing a different aspect of sustainability.
October 1-10: Energy Conservation
October 11-20: Alternative Transportation
October 21-31: Food and Waste
The SLU community is encouraged to adopt one sustainable practice during each of the three themes in the “Do One Thing”(DOT) campaign, where a list of actionable items can be found. Tell us your DOT on social media by using the hashtag #SLUgreen16.
Sign up for the SLUstainability Newsletter for email blasts about each theme.
Groups are encouraged to make their events green throughout the month or host a sustainable event during one of the three themes. Email the firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or to share plans.
More detailed descriptions of each event are provided here. Click here for an approved printable sign to promote SLUstainability Month in your area.
Try to adopt one energy conservation action through our "Do One Thing"(DOT) campaign. Tell us your DOT on social media by using the hashtag #SLUgreen16. Click on the link above to view a list of items or try to adopt one of these ideas for this week:
- Turn off your monitor when you leave your desk
- Switch off the light when you leave the room
- Take the stairs to save energy and burn calories
Featured Event: SLU Energy Madness
This week kicks off SLU's Energy Madness Competition. SLU Energy Madness is a program which promotes awareness on student energy consumption and uses the method of competition to increase student involvement. The energy competition pits residence halls against one another in a tournament, knock-out style competition. All competing halls will have at least one trained energy ambassador to facilitate all necessary information to the hall's residents. After each round, the halls with the largest reductions in their energy consumption will advance to face another successful hall. After three rounds, a grand champion will be determined, while a third place spot will be decided in a second-tier bracket. A sustainable prize is awarded to the winning hall, for example last year's winner, Grand Forest, won hammocks and free fair-trade coffee during finals week. Top ranking energy ambassadors also earn a prize of their own.
- October 3- Res Hall Energy Madness Competition Begins
- October 3- Wear your green for the Green Billiken Spirit Day
- October 4- Energy Efficiency Expressions - an action campaign to show support for energy conservation - West Pine Mall outside Gries
- October 6- Care About Climate Presentation, Guest Speaker Natalie Lucas, 4pm in BSC 253C
- October 7- Sparky Earth Hour - an energy reduction hour
- October 8- Webster University Sustainability Conference, register today
- October 11- RideFinders Lunch & Learn, register for the free lunch today
This week begins the theme of Alternative Transportation during SLUstainability Month running October 11-20.
Try to adopt one sustainable transportation action through our "Do One Thing"(DOT) campaign. Tell us your DOT on social media by using the hashtag #SLUgreen16. Click on the link above to view a list of items or try to adopt one of these ideas for this week:
- Register your bike with DPS
- Walk to your next destination by leaving a little earlier
- Limit vehicle idling to under 5 min to save on excess emissions
Featured Event: Alternative Transportation Fair
The Alternative Transportation Fair on October 20 will help educate you about all the modes of transportation around and to SLU's North and South campuses. Organizations such as Metro, Great Rivers Greenway, RideFinders, SLU's Transportation Services, and SLU's Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness will be available to share resources. The event will run from 11-2pm on the West Pine Mall near Pius Library. Stop by to learn more about how to be a smarter commuter to campus.
- October 11- Alternative Transportation Scavenger Hunt Begins: Contest Rules, Scavenger Hunt
- October 11- Carpool to SLU Day, RideFinders Lunch & Learn (find out how to carpool to campus and utilize ride-sharing)
- October 12- Bike to SLU Day
- October 13- Walk to SLU Day
- October 14- Ride Metro Day, Grand Metro PlaceMaking Event, CMT's Try & Ride Kick-Off
- October 19- CareShare Introduction at SLU Celebration, Sign-Up for CarShare Service
- October 20- Alternative Transportation Fair
- October 31- Alternative Transportation Scavenger Hunt Ends
- October 18- Zero Waste Cannonball Picnic, RSVP by 10/12
- October 20- Apple Fest
- October 21- Food Day by Nutrition & Dietetics, buy your tickets
- October 22- Make a Difference Day, sign up your group to volunteer
- October 27- Just Eat It Movie Screening. To attend this event, register here by October 19.
- November 4- E-Waste Workshop, registration is free
This week begins the theme of Food & Waste during SLUstainability Month running October 21-31.
Try to adopt one food or waste action through our "Do One Thing"(DOT) campaign. Tell us your DOT on social media by using the hashtag #SLUgreen16. Click on the link above to view a list of items or try to adopt one of these ideas for this week:
- Ask for a smaller portion at the buffet line at the dining halls
- Try eating vegetarian for one day during the week (Think Meatless Monday)
- Make the commitment to not buy bottled water
Featured Event: Just Eat It! Film Screening
Just Eat It is a 74-minute award winning documentary film about food waste and food rescue. This documentary highlights how we in the developed world waste an astonishing 40% of produced food. Follow Jen and Grant on their journey as they eat from recovered food over a 6 month period. Join us in the Busch Student Center St. Louis Room (3rd Floor) on October 27 at 8pm for a showing of Just Eat It.
- October 1-31- Vegetarian Awareness Month by DineSLU - Celebrate being a vegetarian or try being meatless for a day this month
- October 21- Food Day by Nutrition & Dietetics -hosted in the garden on the South Campus
- October 22-24- Collect/Safe Disposal of Unwanted Prescription Drugs by Public Safety
- October 24- Recycling Manufacturing Plant Tour, register to attend (free), Food Recovery System - Open Forum @ 8pm
- October 26- Weigh the Waste, Innovation Challenge, Taste of Green, buy your tickets
- October 27- Empty Stomachs Campaign, "Just Eat It" Movie Screening. To attend this event, register here
- October 28- Anything but a Bowl- Ice Cream Social