- First Generation College Students
Share Your Story | First Generation College Student
Are/Were you a first generation college student?
We would love to hear your story. Who inspired you to attend college? What resources have you used on your road to success? What are the challenges you have faced? Tell us about your story and we’ll post it on this site.
What is First Generation?
Students are considered “First Generation” if their parents/legal guardians have not completed a four-year college degree. Some experiences we may have in common are:
- Being the first in the family to navigate a university system.
- Overcoming past obstacles to reach this achievement.
- Managing the "two worlds" of school and home.
- Feeling pressure to excel as the first in the family to make it to college.
- Relating to peers who do not share the experience of being First Generation.
- Learning unspoken cultural norms and expectations of university life.
- Explaining the demands and rigors of college life to family and friends.
(Adapted from M.I.T.)