First-Year Summer Reading Essay Contest
***Congratulations to Jenna Meyer, a first-year student who is involved in the Engineering Learning Community and Engineering First-Year Interest Group! Her winning essay submission is entitled Raw Love and can be read here. Congratulations again to Jenna!***
All first-year students are invited to enter the First-Year Summer Reading Essay Contest.
• Free use of your spring semester textbooks
• Invitation to attend dinner with the First-Year Summer Reading author.
The 2013 essay prompt will be released in the 2013 Spring semester.
2012 Essay Prompt
"If I have one tortilla, I give one away." (Nazario 105)
The themes of service and social justice are woven throughout Enrique's Journey.
Find 3 examples in the text in which you see service and/ or social justice at work. Discuss, referring to and quoting from the text specifically, the motivations of the characters as well as the outcomes of their work.
Consider the following: Why did the characters make certain decisions? How does service increase one's ability to be empathic? How would the story have been different without such acts of service?
A successful essay will accomplish the following:
- Maintain a clear purpose throughout the entire essay
- Contain a strong, central thesis
- Use relevant, detailed evidence from the book
- Show pages numbers for textual references
- Demonstrate effective paragraphing (coherence and unity among paragraphs)
- Contain correct grammar and punctuation
- Express a unique perspective
- 750 - 1000 words
- Essays must be submitted online by Sunday, September 30, 2012
- Click here to submit your essay through SLU Groups
Contact the Student Involvement Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-977-2805
Student Involvement Center, Academic Support, Barnes and Noble College Bookstore