Saint Louis University

Residence hall rooms or apartments conditions are tracked utilizing a Room Condition Inventory (RCI) or Apartment Condition Inventory (ACI) form. The RCI/ACI can be found online in the student's mySLU housing portal.  The Housing and Residence Life staff conduct an initial review of the room and document an pre-existing damage to a space, prior to resident arrival. Residents then review and add any pre-existing damage to the respective form at move-in. At move-out, Housing and Residence Life staff reference the form to assess for new damage to the space. Any damage beyond normal wear and tear, as determined by the University staff, will be charged to the students' University accounts.

Students should not wait until the appeal process has ended before paying their University account balance. Students should pay their account balance when due to avoid finance charges. Any adjustment resulting from a successful appeal will be only for the original charge. Students will not receive a credit for any finance charges incurred as a result of an unpaid balance.


Damages and/or check-out fines/fees determined to be the responsibility of a student may be billed to the student's University account. These charges may include a description of the damage (e.g. "Paint wall 3") or include a generic designation (e.g. "Fusz damage - Facilities Services"). Some damages and check-out fines/fees may not have a charge assigned at the time the student checks out and may be labeled "TBA". These charges may still appear on the student's account, even if other assessments have been charged.

If any additional damage charges are applied to your account, you may request a copy of your actual Room or Apartment Condition Inventory after you are billed and before the appeal deadline. This notice will include detailed instructions about the damage appeal process.

Any amount charged to a student's account is the student's responsibility, even if an appeal is submitted. If an appeal is granted, Housing and Residence Life will refund the amount billed for damages, but will not refund any finance charges or other fees incurred prior to the refund.

Refunds may be applied to an account without notification. For example, a charge may be revised or reversed if a roommate claims responsibility for a damage. A granted appeal related to the damage in a common space may result in a refund to all occupants, but only the appealing student will receive notification.

Damage Appeal

Any damage appeal must be submitted via the on-line form, which is only active during the appeal period after each semester. For Spring 2016 charges, the deadline to submit a completed appeal is 11:59 pm on Sunday, June 26, 2016. Appeals received on June 27 or later will not be considered.

Each damage appeal will be reviewed by a damage appeals board. The appeal committee will complete the appeal review process and, if necessary, make any adjustments to a student's account in July.  Please remember that students will not meet in person with the appeal committee, and the information that is submitted as part of the appeal will be the only information the appeal committee will consider.

If a student checks out during the school year and wishes to appeal a damage, they should contact the Department of Housing and Residence Life (, 314-977-2811) for more information on how to submit their appeal. Appeals must include the following information:

  • Student's name and Banner ID #
  • Building and room where the student lived
  • Basis for the appeal, including specific reasons why the charge(s) are in error and/or should be reversed.