Saint Louis University considers the residential experience an integral part of a student's total education. Students who live on campus have a more productive and more satisfying college experience than those who live off campus. Research over the past 40 years indicates that college students who live on campus are more likely to:
- Take full advantage of campus resources
- Be more involved in campus activities and educational programs
- Have stronger connections to peers
- Take more credits per semester
- Achieve greater academic success
- Persist to graduation at a higher rate
- Be more satisfied with their overall university experience
First-time first year students are guaranteed housing, are required to live on campus for four matriculated semesters (generally freshman and sophomore year) and are assigned based on application and contract information. Students will not be assigned housing without a housing application, housing deposit and tuition deposit on file. The housing priority deadline is May 1st.
Students applying for a residency exception are required to submit an appeal of residency by May 1st. Students should not make arrangements for alternate housing until they are notified by Housing and Residence Life that an exception has been granted. If an exception is not granted, the student will be held responsible for the housing contract. Because the priority and exemption deadlines are the same, students are encouraged to complete the housing application and pay the $250 deposit by the May 1st priority date.
Exceptions will be considered for the following students.
- Residing at home with parents/guardians within a commutable distance.
- Medical condition that necessitates an exception as judged by Disability Services.
- Married (Documentation required) Child or children in the care of the student
- Student has completed two or more years of military service
- Student is 21 years of age or older and not a first time-first year student
The Residency Exemption Request Form can be accessed here.