Saint Louis University

You and your family - Your Child is no longer an eligible dependent

When your child turns 26, he/she is no longer eligible to be on our health and dental, you must remove the child from your coverage. For more information on Qualifying Events, refer to the Summary Plan Description (SPD) for the plan(s) in which you are enrolled. You can find the SPDs listed here.

If your spouse or child dies, you should notify Human Resources to make appropriate changes to your employee record and to your benefits.

Action Items Checklist:

  1. Notify Human Resources to change marital status (if applicable).
    • Go to Banner Self-Service and find Employee Information/Paycheck Distribution Form in the list. 
    • Complete the form online. 
  2. Change tax withholding status (if applicable).
  3. Make changes to benefits within 31 days (if applicable).

More Details:
Health and Dental
Changes should be made within 31 days of the death.

  • You should change the level of your health and dental coverage, if applicable. Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) Changes must be made within 31 days of the death.
  • Due to the death in your family, you may want to begin participating in an FSA, or increase or decrease the contributions to your existing FSA.
  • You may obtain the FSA Enrollment Form from Tools and Forms (Link to Forms and Resources page) page. 

Retirement Benefits
Changes should be made as soon as possible after the death.

  • You must update your marital status with your retirement vendor. Contact your investment company to change your beneficiary designation. 
Life Insurance
  • Call 314-977-2366 to begin the life insurance claim process, if the deceased was an eligible dependent for life insurance.
  • You may need to change your beneficiary designation. The form may be found on the Forms and Resources page.
Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2016  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid