Tuition Remission for Spouse and Children
*Procedures for individuals affected by the MAGIS reduction in force seeking Tuition Remission Benefits will be posted soon.
The spouse and/or children (natural or adopted) of any full-time faculty, staff or Faculty Emeritus are eligible for benefits under the Tuition Remission Plan.
New and Improved Online Application Process! Eligible participants apply for Dependent Tuition Remission benefit on-line through the University Banner Self-Service. As of the Summer 2011 semester, a universal tuition remission application process was implemented . Available April 1, 2011 the new process requires that you apply once for tuition remission benefits. The approved applications will remain in place until you or your eligible dependents no longer meet the eligibility requirements. Application Instructions now available!
There is a tuition remission fee assessed on a per credit hour basis, as follows:
|Benefit For:||Tuition remission fee per credit hour:|
|Dependent of SLU Employee (Pell-eligible)||$25 ($75 per 3-hour class)|
|Dependent of SLU Employee||$50 ($150 per 3-hour class)|
In order for a Spouse or Child to be eligible as a Plan Participant, on the first day of classes for the term for which tuition remission benefits are requested he or she:
- Must qualify as a Spouse or Child of a current or former full-time Faculty or Staff member who prior to the first day of classes for the term for which tuition remission benefits are sought meets one of the following criteria:
- he or she is a full-time Faculty or Staff Member who has completed three years of continuous full-time service with the University immediately prior to the first day of classes for which tuition remission benefits are sought; or
- he or she is a former full-time Staff Member who was employed for more than seven consecutive years by the University and a former full-time Faculty Member and he or she terminated employment with the University by reason of his or her death or by reason of retirement upon or after the attainment of age 60.
- Must not have been awarded a Bachelor's Degree; and
- Must have met the established requirements for admission to the University and must have been admitted to one of the undergraduate programs of the University;
- Can be a degree-seeking student from another institution;
- Must, once admitted, continue to meet existing requirements to maintain satisfactory academic progress at Saint Louis University; and
- In the case of a Child, must not have reached his or her 25th birthday.
- In the case of a Child, must be natural born or adopted by the faculty, staff or Faculty Emeritus. Step-children are NOT eligible for the benefit.
A Spouse or Child who satisfies the eligibility requirements shall be entitled to a full waiver of tuition for undergraduate credit hours taken at the University.
These tuition remission benefits shall not apply:
- for undergraduate courses after receiving an undergraduate degree from any college or university
- for undergraduate courses in excess of 18 credit hours beyond the total required for the degree as stated in the "Undergraduate Catalog"
- for credit hours taken at the University at the graduate level
- for courses offered by Saint Louis University as non-credit courses or continuing education
- for University fees and course related fees
- for courses exceeding registration limits
- when any satisfactory academic progress or admission requirement is not met
- for classes offered at any university, college,junior college or other educational institution other than Saint Louis University