Saint Louis University

Health Insurance
All international students, scholars, and their de­pendents must have adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in the United States. Neither the U.S. government nor the University pays for medical care. You may purchase insurance through agencies in your home country, agencies in the U.S., from your embassy, or you may enroll in the University's student health plan. Enrollment in an adequate plan must occur either before or shortly after your arrival. If you decide to purchase health insurance from Saint Louis University upon your arrival, your coverage will begin on the first day of classes.  You may also purchase supplemental insurance that will provide coverage from the time you arrive in the United States until your coverage begins with Saint Louis University. Saint Louis University has coordinated a policy through Lockton Companies for this supplemental coverage.  

Saint Louis University health insurance charges are automatically applied to your semester bill unless you complete a health insurance waiver form and show proof of personal insurance, in which case the SLU insurance fee is waived.

If you would like information about the University's student health insurance, please visit the University Health Plan website or stop by the office of Student Health and Counseling in Marchetti Towers East, lower level.

Immunization Record and Personal Health History
All students must provide a record of the immunizations they have received and a health history questionnaire.

Download the required health forms here.

Health Resources on Campus

Student Health
(314) 977 2323
Marchetti Towers, East
3518 Laclede Avenue

University Counseling Center
(314) 977 8255
3711 West Pine Mall, 2nd Floor
Wuller Hall, Eckelkamp Center for Campus Ministry

Student Health Services and the University Counseling Center provide medical treatment, counseling, and a variety of educational programs for all Saint Louis University full-time, part-time, and graduate students.

Good health is important! Contact Student Health or University Counseling if you have questions or concerns about your physical or mental health or if you would like information about ongoing educational programs.

In the Event of a Medical Emergency
If you require emergency treatment, call 911 immediately and arrange for ambulance transportation to the nearest hospital.

In case of a medical crisis, a Saint Louis University nurse is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. A nurse can be reached at 314-977-2323 after 5:00pm on weekdays, weekends, and holidays.

In the Event of a Mental Health Emergency
A counselor is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. A counselor can be reached at 314-977-8255 for any mental health emergencies.

If emergency treatment is needed, call 911 immediately and arrange for ambulance transportation to the nearest hospital.

Eating Right
An important part of staying healthy is eating a nutritious and balanced diet. Finding the right foods in a new country may be difficult.

It may be helpful to find some traditional foods from home, especially when you first arrive. International student clubs and other students on campus can tell you where to shop for food items from your home country.

If you have special dietary requirements, the campus cafeteria may be able to accommodate you. Be sure to check with the food-service director if you do not readily find the foods you need. It is perfectly acceptable to be assertive when looking for a diet that meets your needs and preferences.

Exercise also can contribute to good health. If you exercise regularly, you will get sick less often, have more energy, and feel less stressed. SLU's Simon Recreational Center is one of the finest recreational facilities in the Midwest, featuring squash and racquetball courts, three multipurpose aerobic rooms, six basketball courts, a swimming pool, diving well and whirlpool, and locker rooms with saunas and showers. Admission to Simon Recreation Center is free with a valid SLU ID card.

Smoking & Drinking
Although some Americans smoke, many do not and may object to people smoking around them. Because smoking and second-hand smoke have been proven dangerous, many restaurants and public buildings do not permit smoking. All university buildings are smoke-free. When you visit someone's home, al­ways ask for permission before smoking.

In the United States, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drink or possess alcoholic beverages of any type. Often people under 21 may not enter public places where alcohol is served unless meals are also served. To prove one's ages, a driver's license or Missouri identification card may be used. Both can be obtained at any license bureau or Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles office, with a letter from the Office of International Services to prove your visa status.

Driving after drinking is a very serious offense in the U.S. and the consequences are severe. Be sure always to designate a driver who has not consumed alcohol.

Illegal Drugs
Possession, use, and distribution of stimulants, depressants, narcotics, or hallucinogenic drugs, and other illegal agents having potential for abuse, except on a physician's or dentist's prescription, is forbidden by University policy and local, state, and federal law. Selling, bartering, exchanging or giving away such substances to any person is illegal and prohibited. Any student engaged in such activities will be subject to arrest by law enforcement agents and will be subject to severe disciplinary action, including but not limited to suspension or dismissal from the University.