- Information About Life & Study in St. Louis
Safety at SLU
Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
Wool Center, Room 114
As in any big city, certain precautions should be taken to ensure personal safety. The following recommendations are general and certainly not comprehensive:
- Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to suspicious-looking persons or activities by constantly scanning the area around you.
- If you must park off campus, choose a well-lit and populated area to leave your vehicle. Check the area out when returning to your car; look in and around your car before entering it.
- Walk with other people -- especially at night or in an unfamiliar area.
- Always lock the door when leaving your room or apartment. Don't allow strangers to enter, and always ask for identification of service workers before allowing them inside.
- Never leave books, purses, backpacks, computers, or other personal items unattended in the library, study hall, restaurants, or other public places.
- If you are confronted, try to get a good description of the individual(s), a description of the vehicle -- if one is used as a getaway -- and license plate number if possible.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, and return to a safe place if something doesn't look right.
- Park your vehicle on Saint Louis University parking lots or garages.
- At night on campus, use the SLU RIDE program. Call (314) 977-RIDE.
- Have emergency numbers available to contact help (911).
- Immediately report any crime or suspicious activity to DPS at (314) 977-3000.
Safety Escorts - (314) 977-RIDE
Always request a safety escort when walking on campus at night: (314) 977-RIDE
The department of public safety provides free safety escorts for students, faculty, staff, and visitors who want to be accompanied to cars, other buildings, or across campus. A walking escort or SLU RIDE vehicle will be sent to meet you, depending on availability, weather conditions, the time of day, and your location.
To request a safety escort, call (314) 977-RIDE and provide the following information: your name, phone number, location, destination, and the number of riders. Be prepared to show your SLU ID when the escort arrives.