Saint Louis University

Who should get an H-1B visa?
Saint Louis University normally files petitions for this visa classification for physicians, professors and some postdoctoral research fellows.

The H-1B classification is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the United States to perform services in a specialty occupation, which is defined as an occupation which requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree for the specific specialization (or its equivalent in experience).

What are the requirements for filing an H-1B?
There are two steps in filing the H-1B. The first step is the "Labor Condition Application" through the U.S. Department of Labor. There are several obligations on the part of the employer as a result of the LCA filing. Employers must make attestations about the wages for H-1B positions and they must guarantee the individual's return airfare home if an H-1B's employment is terminated before the end of the period of authorized stay. Changes to the employee's title or responsibilities must be reported to the office of International Services. Willful violation of the regulations can result in the University being fined and prevented from filing H-1B petitions for one year.

The second step of the H-1B is the submission of the application to the Department of Homeland Security. The standard processing time for this application can range from 2 to 4 months. If a more urgent decision is required, expedited or "premium" processing can be requested at an additional cost.

How does an international scholar/employee secure an H-1B visa?
To request an H-1B packet for a new employee, or to extend a current employee's H status, please complete the H-1B Packet (PDF) and return it to Cathy Donahue at the Office of International Services.