Saint Louis University

Who should get a TN visa?
The TN non-immigrant visa category is for Canadian and Mexican citizens. This visa enables Mexican or Canadian citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities at a professional level" in certain fields for one or more specific employers. TN employment is limited to the types of jobs specified under the NAFTA treaty and the employee must have the qualifications specified by the treaty.

If there will be more than one employer, each employer will have to apply for a separate TN visa.

TN status may be granted for as long as the employment offer specifies (up to one year), and this status may be extended indefinitely in one-year increments.

If your department is considering bringing an international scholar/employee to campus on this type of visa, please contact Cathy Donahue in the Office of International Services at