Saint Louis University

Citizens of Canada

Entering as a F-1 or J-1 student

Citizens of Canada have different entry procedures than citizens of other countries. Please note, this information does not apply to Permanent Residents of Canada. Please refer to your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information about entry requirements if you are not a citizen of Canada.

Before you leave Canada. For citizens of Canada, once you are admitted, you will receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from our office. When you receive the I-20 or DS-2019, you should start by paying the SEVIS I-901 payment. You should print off the electronic receipt and place it in your records. You should also receive receipt by mail. The payment activates your SEVIS record so that you can enter and remain in the U.S. as a F-1 or J-1 student. If you have more questions about the SEVIS I-901 payment, please refer to the FAQ section of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

New international students can be picked up at the St. Louis airport on August 21 and 22. Click here for more information. Please sign up before you leave.

Preparing to leave Canada. Before you leave for the airport or the drive across the border, please make sure to take the following documents:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. I-20 or DS-2019 and receipt showing that you paid the SEVIS fee
  3. Financial Documentation (like you prepared for our office)
  4. Admission Letter

Once you are at the border. You may be refused entry into the United States if you arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 form. When you enter, make sure that you indicate that you will be travelling to the U.S. to pursue study at Saint Louis University and show them your I-20/DS-2019. If you do not specify that you are coming to study, you may receive entry as a visitor and you may need to return to Canada and reenter to correct your status before start studying.

You will receive a I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. Make sure before you leave the post that it states either "J-1; D/S" or "F-1; D/S." They should also stamp and record the same information on your I-20 or DS-2019. The I-20 or DS-2019 and I-94 are proof of your legal admission to the United States. Please keep these documents safe at all times.

For more information about entering the U.S. as a citizen of Canada, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website.

Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2016  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid