Saint Louis University

If you are traveling outside the U.S. and your visa has expired, you will need to schedule time to renew your student visa before returning to the U.S. (Exceptions include Canada, Mexico, and some adjacent islands through a process known as automatic visa revalidation.)

REMEMBER:  You cannot renew a visa inside the U.S. 

Renewing a Student Visa

  1. Refer to the website of the  U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country or in the country that you will be visiting for specific application instructions.  It is always recommended that you apply to renew your visa in your home country.

  2. Remember to plan ahead for any necessary visa appointment and processing time

  3. Prepare the following documents (confirm required documents with the embassy or consulate through which you are renewing):

  • Form I-20 signed on page 3 or your DS-2019 on page 1 by the staff at the Office of International Services.

  • Non-immigrant Visa Application

  • Passport valid for at least 6 months in the future  

  • Your photograph -- see requirements here

  • Receipt for visa processing fee

  • Proof of initial SEVIS I-901 fee

  • Evidence of financial support equal to or greater than the amount indicated on the Form I-20 or DS-2019

  • Current transcript in a sealed envelope from the Office of the University Registrar

  • Any diploma that you have received since your initial entry into the U.S. (if applicable)

  • For students on OPT or Academic Training:  Letter verifying employment (and EAD card for F-1 students)

Learn more about U.S. visas from the U.S. Department of State