The Office of International Services wouldn’t be able to successfully welcome international students without the important help of our international ambassadors, host families, academic advisers and employers.
Each year, current SLU students serve as international ambassadors. Ambassadors can be American students or international students, as long as you are excited about helping new students feel welcome on campus.
The ideal candidate has had an international experience or strong interest in international issues. Additionally, you should:
- Have intercultural competency, as demonstrated by international or cross cultural experiences
- Have international knowledge, as demonstrated by academic major or personal study
- Live as "men and women for others" in the spirit of the Jesuits
- Actively participate in SLU activities
- Speak knowledgeably about SLU’s campus and services
Application window for new International Ambassadors: Nov. 1, 2018, to Jan. 24, 2019. Interviews will take place Feb. 11-15, 2019. The link to the application will be available here in November.
Additional requirements for International Ambassadors:
- Must attend new International Ambassador training in the spring of 2019.
- International Ambassadors must be full-time undergraduate or graduate students at Saint Louis University.
- International Ambassadors must regularly check and respond to emails.
Application window for new International Ambassador Coordinator and Team Leader Application: Jan. 21, 2019 through March 1, 2019. Application will be available online in January 2019. Interviews to take place March 26-29, 2019.
Requirements for International Ambassador Coordinators and Team Leaders:
- Must have served as an International Ambassador for at least one semester prior to submitting your application.
- Attend Team Leader training sessions in the spring of 2019. Interested leaders who are studying abroad in the spring 2019 term are not eligible to apply for Team Leader positions due to these trainings.
- Team leaders must be full-time undergraduate or graduate students and current International Ambassadors who have shown commitment to the program.
Email Karissa Rusu at email@example.com with any other questions about the International Ambassador program.
Host Family Program
SLU students, faculty, staff or alumni can all volunteer to be a host family through the Office of International Services. The requirements are simple: meet with your international student once each month and support his or her adjustment to life at SLU.
Academic Advisers and Employers
There are many benefits to working closely with people from another culture. Your diligence and patience with our international population enhances their experience at SLU. The Office of International Services supports faculty and staff who work closely with international students; this section has tips on academic advising, employment and bringing a scholar to campus.