International Studies Internship Policies
The Center for International Studies Internship is considered the capstone or culmination of student's academic career as an International Studies major. As such, it is vitally important that the student consider the internship as an integrative part of their career, and as a bridge to both future study and employment. The staff of the Center for International Studies is happy to discuss these points with students, and provides ongoing mentoring on the subject at the outset of a student's declaration of the major.
Students should be advised of the following policies related to the internship:
- Students MUST secure the internship BEFORE the semester in which they register for the internship course. In other words, students should be actively pursuing an internship once the registered semester begins.
- Students are not allowed to switch internships mid-semester, nor are students allowed to complete the requirements of the internship by working at two sites for half the time. Students are expected to immerse themselves in their internship for the equivalent of 140 hours throughout the semester.
- Freshman and Sophomores are not allowed to register for the internship. Under special circumstances Juniors may be allowed to register for the internship (particularly if they have already studied abroad and have completed a majority of their degree requirements). The intern should bring their academic, study abroad, and language experiences to the project, which can only realistically be accomplished in their Senior year.
- Students must gain formal approval for their internship with the Center for International Studies BEFORE the semester begins.
- A number of on-campus opportunities are available for students, including working as an intern for the ATLAS Week activities. Students who would like to consider one of these possibilities MUST consult with the Center for International Studes in the semeter BEFORE they register for the Internship. There is no guarantee that positions will be available in a give year.
- If a student finds that their particular internship site is not providing the experience that they desire and they wish to terminate the internship, the student will be advised to take an Incomplete for that semester and undertake another internship within the following two semesters. When this occurs the student will be required to restart the total number of hours at the new internship.