- Services and Products
- Academic Resources
- Blackboard Learn
- Tegrity Lecture Capture
- Fuze Meeting
- Campus Pack
- SurveyDIG Online Course Evaluation System
- Web-based Survey Tools
- Administrative Systems & Services
- Advanced Technology
- Classroom Technology
- Clinical Information Systems
- Gartner IT Library
- Google Apps & Listserv Technology
- Internet & Network Services
- ITS Projects and Plans
- Multimedia Services & Computer Labs
Blackboard Learn is the Learning Management System available to the Saint Louis University community at both the St. Louis and Madrid campuses. Blackboard provides an online space for instructors to share course content, manage student work, and access to tools that can support activities such as group work, class discussions, and student projects.
Types of Courses in Blackboard Learn
News about Blackboard at SLU (Updated 3/5/2015)
Support Browsers and Operating Systems
Faculty Support and Training Information
Student Support Information
Standard Maintenance Window
Access your courses by clicking on the Blackboard Learn icon on the Tools tab of mySLU. Depending on your role at SLU and course enrollments, you may see two kinds of courses in Blackboard Learn:
- Courses from Banner: All courses in the Banner catalog are automatically created in Blackboard Learn; however, the instructor has the choice whether or not to utilize Blackboard Learn and when to make the course available for students.
- Courses not in Banner: Departments, programs, and instructors may have a need for a course in Blackboard Learn that is not tied to a course in Banner. These courses can be used for course development, department/program orientation content, or other purposes. Faculty and staff can request a non-Banner course in Blackboard Learn - click for the Blackboard course site request form.
Click here for the non-Banner Blackboard Learn course request form.
Blackboard Courses Can Now Be Organized by TermsBlackboard courses in your "My Courses" module can now be organized by terms. The terms can be collapsed or expanded for controlling the amount information displayed in your "My Courses" module. For instructions on how to turn on the Terms option, go to the FAQs - Access webpage. For information on more ways to customize your "My Courses" module, go to the Customize "Home" Tab webpage.
Blackboard Columns for Grade Integration with Banner Now Standard:
Columns labeled 'external midterm grade' and 'external final grade' are pre-created in the Blackboard Grade Center, making it easier for faculty to use the Banner grade integration feature. Go to the Blackboard Faculty Support page for more information on the Blackboard to Banner Grade Integration.
Fall 2012 Blackboard Courses Were Deleted on February 18th
In accordance with the posted Blackboard Course Retention Schedule, Blackboard courses remain on the server for two full years after the end of the term in which the course was held. Courses from the Fall 2012 term were deleted on February 18th at 5:00 p.m. CST. Instructors can email questions to the IT Service Desk at email@example.com or call 314-977-4000.
New "How To Set Up a Blackboard Course in 15 Minutes" Video Is Available
If you are new to Blackboard or just need a refresher course, there is a new Blackboard tutorial video for you. This tutorial video demonstrates how to set up a basic Blackboard course in 15 minutes.
Here are the topics covered:
- The My Courses Module and Blackboard Home Tab
- A Tour of the Blackboard User Interface (for instructors)
- The Default SLU Blackboard Home Page
- The Edit Mode ON/OFF Button
- How to Add Files, Items, Content Folders and Content Areas
- How the Course Menu Works
- The Announcement Tool
- How to Make Your Course Available to Your Students.
SUPPORTED BROWSERS & OPERATING SYSTEMS
View the Blackboard Learn Browser Compatibility List to find an appropriate supported operating system/browser for your computer. Please note that other applications you may use, such as Tegrity, may have different supported browsers.
Faculty Blackboard Support can be contacted at 314-977-2252. Support hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Faculty can also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Faculty Support pages for help with Blackboard Learn. This team can also provide individual technical training for Faculty to explain the features and tools in Blackboard Learn. Please use the contact information above to submit a request for a training session.
Faculty can get help incorporating Blackboard Learn into a course from the Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning: email@example.com. Contact the Reinert Center to discuss why and how best to use this or any other technology to achieve your instructional goals.[Top of Page]
STUDENT SUPPORT INFORMATION
Students can visit the Tech Services Center website for tutorials and FAQs or contact the Student Service Desk at 314-977-4000, extension 2.
- Wednesday 10 p.m. to Midnight CDT
- Saturday 6 a.m. to Noon CDT
What this means is that if system maintenance is required, any downtime would be scheduled during one of those two maintenance periods. These times were selected based on system usage reporting to identify lower-usage periods. The maintenance schedule will then be communicated to the University community via Newslink.
Occasionally, other systems that the Blackboard Learn system relies on have maintenance occurring outside those times, and we are forced to schedule outside those windows. Whenever we have an planned maintenance outage, we try to notify the University community as soon as we possibly can.
Updated: 3/5/2015 by KRS