- Services and Products
- Academic Resources
- Blackboard Learn
- Faculty Support
- What Would You Like To Do?
- Getting Started
- Start/End of Term Activities
- Customize "Home Tab" Page
- Customize Your Course
- Managing Your Course
- Add Content
- Communication Tools
- Assignments and Rubrics
- Tests and Surveys
- Other Tools
- Grade Center
- FAQs - Top 5
- FAQs - Course Management
- FAQs - Grade Center
- FAQs - Access
- FAQs - Tests
- Student Support
- Known Issues
- Blackboard Mobile Learn
- Tegrity Lecture Capture
- Fuze Meeting
- Campus Pack
- SurveyDIG Online Course Evaluation System
- Web-based Survey Tools
- Administrative Systems & Services
- Classroom Technology
- Clinical Information Systems
- Gartner IT Library
- Google Apps & Listserv Technology
- Internet & Network Services
- ITS Projects and Plans
- Multimedia Services & Computer Labs
Managing Your Course
Disclaimer: Not all features included on the Blackboard Learn Corporation help pages are available in the Saint Louis University Blackboard Learn license.Topics:
- The Control Panel
- Using Course Tools Section on the Control Panel
- Deploying Course Tools on the Control Panel
- Managing Users and Groups
- Make Your Course Available
- Copy Your Course to Another Course
- Backup/Archive Your Course
The Control Panel
The Control Panel is the central access point for course management functions. You can manage the course style, course tools, users and groups, the Grade Center and course utility functions from this area.
To access this area you need to have one of these roles:
- Teaching Assistant (TA)
- Course Builder (cannot see the Grade Center).
Note: Students cannot see the Control Panel.
Using the Course Tools Section on the Control Panel
Items can be created and managed in each of the tools in the Course Tools area. However, the tools or items created in the tools must be deployed in order for the students to see them. You can also create those items in the deployed tool or as you deploy a tool.
For example: If you are using the Announcement tool, you can create announcements in the Announcement tool in the Course Tools section of the Control Panel. Students will not be able to see those announcements until you deploy the Announcements tool on the Course Menu or on a Content Area, Content Folder, or Learning Module. Once the tool is deployed, you can create new announcements on the Control Panel or using the deployed tool.
Deploying Course Tools on the Control Panel
Course Tools can be deployed so that students can see them in two ways:
1) On the Course Menu: tools deployed on the Course Menu link to the entire Tool page with the list of items available
- Hover over the Plus Sign in a box on the far left of the menu above the Course Menu. A drop down menu will appear.
- Click on Tool Link. An Add Tool Link pop-up box will appear.
- In the Name box, enter the name you would like to give the tool
- In the Type box, click the drop down arrow on the far right of the box. A drop down menu will appear.
- Click on the name of the tool you want to deploy.
- Click the check box to the left of "Available to Users"
- Click the Submit button. The tool will appear at the bottom of the list of links or buttons on the Course Menu.
2) On a Content Area, Content Folder, or Learning Module
- About Tool Types
- How to Add Links to Tools in a Course Area
Managing Users and Groups on the Control Panel
- Course Groups and Tools
- Creating Group Assignments
- Creating Groups
- Editing Groups
- Enrolling Students in Course Groups
- Grading Group Assignments
- Removing a User from a Course Group
- Sending Email to a Course Group
The User section of the Control Panel allows you to see a list of all of the users enrolled in your course including Instructors, TAs and Course Builders.
Getting a List of Users in Your Course
- Go to the Control Panel on the lower left hand side of the course page.
- Click Users and Groups. The Users and Groups drop down menu will appear.
- Click Users. The Users page will appear.
- This page will show you a list of all users enrolled in your class including other Instructors, Teaching Assistants, Course Builders and Test Students.
- If the list of users says, No users found, go to the Search Bar at the top of the page.
- In the first text box, click the down arrow to the right and choose SLUNet ID.
- In the Condition (middle) box, click the down arrow to the right and click on Not Blank.
- Click the Go button. The users list will appear.
If you have a large class, the default number of users shown on the page is 25. You can increase this to 1000 by going to the Edit Paging button on the lower right hand side of the screen. Enter the number of users you want to see on the page and click the Go button.
Printing User Lists
The only way to print the users list is to click the PrtScn button on your computer to take a screen shot. Open the screen shot on the program of your choice (Notepad, Paint, WordPad, MS Word, etc.) and print it out.
Course Builder Privileges in the User Section
For Courses in Banner Self-Service:
Course Builders can add TAs and other Course Builders to the course through the Users section.
Course Builders should not add students or instructors of record to the course:
- These roles are enrolled in Blackboard Learn through the Banner administration tool. If students or instructors are added to the course by a Course Builder, instructors will not have access to the Grade section of Banner to turn in official grades and students will not be able to get a grade or credit for a course.
For Courses not in Banner:
Course Builders can enroll SLU users into courses that are not in Banner.
- Login to Blackboard with your usual SLU username and password. http://blackboard.slu.edu
- Click on the course title in the My Courses list. The entry point of the course will appear.
- On the Control Panel on the menu on the lower left hand side of the screen, click on Users and Groups, then click on Users. The Users screen will appear with a list of the users in the course.
To Add a User to the Course:
To Add a "Batch" of Users to the Course:
- Click the Enroll User button on the upper left hand side of the Users screen and then click on Find Users to Enroll. The Add Enrollments screen will appear.
- In Section 1: Enroll Users, enter the SLUNet ID of the user you wish to add in the Username box.
- If you do not know the username, click the Browse button to the right of the Username box.
- The Users pop-up screen will appear. Change the first Search box to Last Name.
- Change the middle Search box to one of three options: Contains, Equal to or Starts with.
- In the last Search box, enter whatever part of the user's name you know. A list of possible user will appear.
- Click the checkbox to the left of the user you want and click the Submit button in the popup box. This will return you to the Add Enrollments screen
- To find additional users to enroll, type a comma after the first user and click on the Browse button again. Repeat this until you have found all of the users want.
- In the Role box, choose the role you wish to give the user(s): Student, Instructor, Teaching Assistant, or Course Builder and click the Submit button. The Users screen will reappear.
- The user(s) you added with the role you assigned will now show up in the User's list.
- Open the Excel Spreadsheet named Batch_User_Template.xlsl. Please click here for the spreadsheet.
- Fill in the information in the columns in red. SLUNet ID does not include "@slu.edu."
- After adding all user information, delete the header row of the Batch_User_Template file.
- Save the file as a csv file.
- Click the Batch Enroll Users button in the upper right hand side of the Users screen. The Batch Enroll Users screen will appear.
- In Section 1: File Upload, click the Browse button and search your computer for your Batch_User_Template.csv file.
- Double click the title of the file and the file will appear to the left of the Browse button.
- In the Delimiter Type section, click the button to the left of Comma.
- Click the Submit button. A screen with the results of your Batch Enrollment will appear indicating what rows were successfully processed and what rows failed to process. Make note of the rows that failed if you want to update them and try the process again.
- Click the OK button in the lower right hand corner of the screen. The Users page will reappear.
- The users that were successfully processed will show up in the Users List.
To Change the Availability of a User in the Course
When a user no longer needs access to a course, the Course Builder can make that user unavailable in the course. This means the user will no longer see the course in their My Courses list, but their data will remain in the course. The user will continue to show in the Grade Center but a gray circle with a slash through it will appear to the left of the user's name and the user's data cannot be changed.
- On the Users screen, hover your mouse over the username of the user you want to make unavailable. A circle with a down arrow it will appear to the right of the username.
- Click the down arrow and on the drop down menu that appears, click the Change User's Availability in Course link. The Change User's Availability in Course screen will appear.
- In Section 1 Role and Availability, go down to the Available (this course only) section. Click the down arrow next to "Yes" and click on "No."
- Click the Submit button. The Users screen will appear and in the Available column for the user whose availability was changed, there will be a "No."
Making a Course Available or Unavailable
Blackboard Learn courses are set to Unavailable (invisible to students) by default. To change the availability, go the Customize section of the Control Panel then to the Properties page. In the Set Availability section, change the selection to Yes or No. Go to the Blackboard Learn Corporation Help website for more information on this topic.
Packages and Utilities