Staff Job Composite
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Job Summary: Under general supervision, provides direct patient care;
manages patient treatment; coordinates medical procedures, tests, new referrals,
admissions, and appointments; serves as a resource person for staff and conducts
in-service education; provides related medical education to patients.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Collaborates with physicians and health care team members in planning, implementing, and
evaluating comprehensive patient care; attends rounds independently or with physicians to
evaluate hospitalized patients.
- Develops a plan of care for patients; coordinates patients care with related
medical services and the referring physicians; schedules and coordinates procedures,
tests, new referrals, admissions, and appointments; provides direct clinical service to
patients and families.
- Provides education and follow-up to patients with regard to disease process, medical
management, and medication adjustments; develops and assesses outpatient protocols for
- Assists with assessing, developing, coordinating, and revising teaching programs for the
medical staff; provides in-service instruction for nurses; participates in related clinic
instruction and conferences; maintains and improves knowledge and competency in advanced
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of medical terminology, procedures, and equipment
- Knowledge of clinical practice nursing
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Patient assessment skills
- Ability to apply good judgement and tact
- Ability to plan work, establish priorities, and remain flexible
- Attentiveness to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to instruct/teach
Education and experience equivalent to:
Masters degree in nursing, Missouri RN License, and certification as an
Advanced Practice Nurse required.