Staff Job Composite
Manager (Facilities Services - Grounds/Custodial)
Job Summary: Under general direction, provides leadership and direction
for grounds maintenance and custodial services operations; prepares and monitors budgets
and projections; oversees staffing efforts, training, grounds keeping, custodial
activities, contracted services, and maintenance of equipment and vehicles; provides
recommendations/modifications to existing and new programs.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Responsible for the coordination and monitoring of grounds and custodial operations in
accordance with union contract; oversees hiring, training, scheduling, supervision of
staff, materials, purchasing of supplies, contracts for the department, contractual
services, upkeep/implementation of deferred maintenance activities, including hardscape
and infrastructures, and snow removal.
- Prepares and maintains budgets; prepares projections and monitors expenditures;
participates in the justification and submittal of capital improvement items; conducts
staff performance communication discussions and recommends salary changes.
- Develops, designs, implements, and provides assistance with landscaping plans; serves as
a resource person for technical horticulture information.
- Identifies and develops policies, procedures, and performance standards for grounds and
custodial departments; updates and distributes winter storm policy.
- Recommends revisions to enhance grounds and custodial programs; reviews and updates the
Web site for department; researches other University departments and identifies best
practices for the University environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Demonstrated knowledge of grounds and custodial operations
- Knowledge of budget processes and projections
- Understanding of a service oriented environment
- Supervisory skills
- Ability to train/teach/tutor
Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelors degree; supplemented with two (2) years of related experience.