Staff Job Composite
Laboratory Assistant, Sr.
Job Summary: Under general supervision, prepares the teaching
laboratories for daily sessions; monitors teaching assistants; prepares solutions and
reagents; conducts minor repairs of equipment; updates laboratory documents and maintains
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Maintains responsibility for general laboratory maintenance including work area,
glassware instruments and reagents used in laboratory; cleans and repairs lab equipment.
- Sets-up, operates and maintains various laboratory apparatus such as spectrophotometer,
centrifuges, pH meters, and various microscopes.
- Assists with various laboratory experiments; prepares specimens for examination;
prepares cultures and culture media; cuts, stains, and mounts various specimens.
- Monitors teaching assistants; proofreads laboratory manuscripts; monitors budgets;
updates laboratory documents.
- Maintains records and inventories; orders, picks-up and distributes supplies and
equipment; labels, stores and maintains records of specimen collections and supplies.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of the use of laboratory instruments, chemicals, and reagents
- Knowledge of principles and practices of laboratory testing procedures
- Interpersonal/human relation skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain records and files
- Ability to organize time, projects, and details
Education and experience equivalent to:
B.A. in chemistry required, B.S. in Chemistry preferred; supplemented with two (2) years of related work experience.