Staff Job Composite
IT Business Analyst
Job Summary: Under general direction, acts as a liaison between technical
and non-technical project stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate and
validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems;
assists project managers in coordinating project activities with the user community and
assists users in successfully completing those activities.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Elicits requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops,
surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases scenarios, business
analysis, task and workflow analysis.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts,
decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a
general understanding, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Proactively communicates and collaborates with external and internal customers to
analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artifacts
as needed including: business and functional requirements, use cases, acceptance test
scenarios and test plans.
- Acts as a liaison between internal and external customers and the software development
team to clarify requirements, resolves questions or identifies tradeoffs between
functionality and performance.
- Develops, maintains and uses repeatable processes and templates based upon best
practices for business analysis; maintains continual growth in professional skills and
knowledge essential to the position; performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Demonstrated skills in requirements elicitation, business process modeling, and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to communicate complex technical or business concepts in plain language
- Ability to interact professionally with diverse groups across the university community
- Ability to operate a personal computer and applications
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to interact effectively with department directors and managers
- Ability to establish priorities, demonstrate discipline and independent judgment
Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelors degree; supplemented with three (3) years of related experience.