Staff Job Composite
Systems Administrator, Sr.
Job Summary: Under general direction, is responsible for the system and
OS level administration functions for the University server systems to include Identity
Management System, IDM SQL databases, NetWare Operating Systems, eDirectory, and
NetWare/ZEN systems, HP unix servers and EHR servers; is responsible for Server OS and
hardware administration for multiple hardware platforms including monitoring and
management of password portal system, VMWARE administration, and LDAP upkeep and
administration; assists in Design, Engineering and Administer Novell based infrastructure;
assists in design of all active directory infrastructures; may act as team lead for area
manager, assists in time sheet and general team management for systems administrators;
coordinates staff management and professional development activities.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Ensures the proper installation, configuration and management of complex backup
environments for all SLU information technology services (ITS) systems; provides technical input into ITS strategic roadmaps
for ITS servers and systems.
- Installs and configures Windows, Linux, Novell servers and server software in clustered,
highly-available environments; installs patches and upgrades to server hardware, firmware,
and/or software; installs, configures, and manages new server implementations.
- Configures systems to optimize systems performance, backup and restore operations, and
to maximize cost-effective utilization of resources; manages scalability, availability,
and performance of 300+ infrastructure related servers.
- Develops documentation and processes for systems integration testing, load/stress
testing, and user acceptance testing and ensures the proper execution of these tests.
- Istalls upgrades to applications software such as web servers,
patching systems, Symantec Antivirus, and other enterprise applications; collaborates on
installation/upgrades/updates to OS.
- May supervise systems administrator, including time sheets and general team management;
performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of principals and practices as related to server virtualization
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques used in administering complex
Edir, Edirectory and AD environments
- Knowledge of server OS and server systems analysis
- Knowledge of IDM SQL databases
- Project coordination skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Leadership and organizational development skills
- Speaking, listening, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work successfully in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to service
- Collaborative and cooperative approach to work
- Attention to detail
Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelors degree with masters preferred; supplemented with five (5) years of related