Staff Job Composite
Service Desk Technician, Sr.
Job Summary: Under general supervision, provides a central point of contact for information technology (IT) customers across the University and offers assistance to any user of technology affiliated with the University; receives, prioritizes, documents, and actively resolves customer service requests; reviews all documentation created by other technicians for accuracy and thoroughness; documents all customer contacts in a central repository; resolves issues involving the use of diagnostic tools, troubleshooting and problem solving methodologies.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Supervises service desk technician staff; assists customers with their questions about University supported software and computing platforms through telephone interactions, emails, in person, or onsite visits.
- Researches questions using a variety of manuals and resources; ensures customer satisfaction and resolution to customer service requests; applies diagnostic utilities (when required) to aid in troubleshooting; accesses software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in incident resolution.
- Verifies all customer identification information, including name, building, department, and contact information; documents all customer contact during the service request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken through to final resolution.
- Performs post-resolution follow-ups to service requests; verifies that customer is aware of resolution; follows a planned professional development program; maintains continual growth in professional skills; performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques used in administering complex databases
- Knowledge of hardware/software applications
- Supervisory skills
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Listening skills
- Ability to perform work that is technically oriented
- Ability to handle basic maintenance and repair of desktop computing equipment
Education and experience equivalent to:
Associate's degree; supplemented with three (3) years related work experience.