Staff Job Composite
Executive Assistant (Dean of Parks College)
Job Summary: : Under general supervision, is responsible to provide administrative assistance to a senior level executive.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Promotes the professional image of Parks College and conserves the Dean's time by providing effective liaison between the Dean, other University administrators, faculty, students, staff, and external contacts; promotes information communication or maintains confidentiality as appropriate, and protects operations.
- Coordinates the work of other staff and oversees the running of the Dean's Office; may train and supervise other staff.
- Represents the Dean by welcoming and interacting with all visitors; reviewing written and electronic correspondence; providing a first level answer where appropriate, including on correspondence; initiates communications in several forms (telephone, email, letter etc.); coordinates the Dean's schedule; maintains the Dean's calendar.
- Interacts with internal and external clients; maintains contact with visitors, national and international guests, job candidates, or donors; screens media contacts through the University's public relations department.
- Assembles and analyzes report data; gathers information and prepares reports; designs and maintains administrative databases, records and files; researches information and complies various types of documentation; records, transcribes and distributes minutes of meetings; files and retrieves documents, records, and reports.
- Composes drafts and prepares correspondence, speeches, and reports in a timely manner; prepares information releases, brochures relating to the specific division, department or school, and newsletter articles.
- Coordinates the Dean's schedule; develops itineraries and agendas; arranges internal and external meetings; may travel in conjunction with meetings and events; maintains central calendar and organizes appointments.
- Coordinates the organization of visitor events, conferences, and special event arrangements; serves as liaison to University support services, including public safety, maintenance, parking and communications services; may coordinate office physical logistics and equipment, and negotiate purchase contracts.
- Disseminates information; arranges travel and accommodation arrangements; screens phone calls; contributes to development of special projects and handles them.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; records meeting discussions and/or provides meeting minutes where appropriate.
- Completes projects by assigning work to other staff and following up on results. Completes projects and special assignments by establishing objectives; determining priorities; managing time; gaining cooperation of others; monitoring progress; problem-solving; making adjustments to plans; performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Strong Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Proven Clerical skills
- Ability to compose correspondence
- Ability to learn and apply institutional policies and procedures in order to represent the College at all times
- Ability to devise, set up, and operate new systems within the office
- Ability to efficiently disseminate information
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
Education and experience equivalent to:
One year of college coursework beyond high school; supplemented with two (2) years of administrative experience.