Staff Job Composite
Job Summary: Under general direction, assists the sr.
research assistant or other research investigators by performing moderately complex
research and experimentation following established protocols; performs routine lab and
equipment maintenance, such as cleaning glassware, counter tops, and equipment; sets-up
and operates various scientific apparatus; assists with research projects and may perform
independent research or performs various clerical and editorial duties; compiles,
processes and analyzes data; performs supervisory and training duties.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Sets-up and operates various scientific apparatus; sets-up and operates
spectrophotometer, fraction collectors, chromatography equipment, centrifuges, incubators,
homogenizers, and various microscopes.
- Performs various clerical duties including typing, answering phones, preparing
correspondence, preparing and maintaining bibliographies, and completing applications and
- Assists with research projects; performs independent research; plans, designs and
implements research projects; prepares and maintains culture media, reagents, and
experimental animals; grows cultures; administers injections; performs various assays;
sterilizes equipment; separates and purifies various materials and substances using such
techniques as chromatography and electrophoresis; performs surgery on experimental
animals; orders laboratory supplies; performs library research; prepares compounds;
interprets experimental test data; performs minor equipment repairs; cuts, stains and
- Performs various editorial duties; writes, reviews and edits various materials for
publication; prepares publication schedules; orders books and other publications.
- Performs supervisory and training duties involving lower level employees; attends and
participates in meetings, conferences, and training groups.
- Compiles processes and analyzes data; records research procedures and results; files and
maintains records; codes data for input for electronic data processing; inputs and
retrieves data using computers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures
- Knowledge of the use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Supervisory skills
- Interpersonal/human relation skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to tend to details
- Ability to maintain records and inventories
- Ability to operate a personal computer
Education and experience equivalent to:
Bachelors degree in science or related field. Broad knowledge involving
laboratory techniques or other specialized knowledge is desired.