Staff Job Composite
Medical Records Clerk
Job Summary: Under immediate supervision, maintains patient files and
statistics; responds to requests for medical records; performs clerical duties.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Maintains patient files and retrieves files for scheduled appointments; files study
patient charts; files all patient data upon receipt of information; initiates records for
new patients and creates computer index; prepares file labels; maintains filing
statistics; audits filing sequence.
- Responds to requests for medical records; processes letters and reports; answers and
directs telephone calls.
- Retrieves patient schedules from computer system; distributes lab reports to physicians,
and materials to other departments; requests information from various departments;
responds to correspondence requests.
- May photocopy records and documents for billing and/or legal services; sends and
receives information via facsimile machine.
- Keeps supervisor informed of problems or issues; monitors supplies needed; performs
other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of modern office equipment
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Organizational skills
- Telephone etiquette skills
- Ability to maintain records and files
- Ability to operate personal computer
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exert physical effort maintaining and distributing files
Education and experience equivalent to:
High school diploma or equivalent, with no experience required; three (3) months of
medical office experience preferred.