Staff Job Composite
Patient Coordinator, Sr.
Job Summary: Under general supervision, provides clinical office support to
ensure patient satisfaction; schedules appointments, greets patients, and prepares charts;
performs registration and check-in/out functions; verifies insurance benefits; assists
with patient exams, tests, and procedures; maintains various records and databases of
information; prepares correspondence, billing, and reports.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Performs office support for a specific department of clinical practice; schedules
surgeries, services, and appointments; prepares referral forms for tests, procedures,
consults, and specialty physicians; obtains x-rays and test results; verifies benefits and
assists with various insurance protocols; precertifies tests and procedures.
- Greets and assists visitors, patients, etc.; obtains initial patient information; may
perform non-invasive testing; assists with exams and procedures; screens phone calls for
the most effective patient care; responds to inquiries.
- Prepares patient charts; maintains database of patient information, care requirements,
and changes; reviews and maintains patient data; maintains medical and insurance referral
records; ensures test results are filed.
- Performs charge entry, and payment collection and posting; processes financial
information; prepares clinical and surgical billing; reviews requisitions; prepares
reports; transcribes clinical correspondence.
- Researches and resolves patient referral problems; tracks referral practice patterns;
oversees operations to ensure patient satisfaction; assists medical students with
procedure instructions; performs other duties as assigned.
- Is responsible for scheduling surgeries.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures
- Knowledge of insurance plans and referral procedures
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to operate various office and medical equipment
- Ability to operate personal computer with various software programs
- Ability to respond to questions in a tactful and professional manner
- Ability to organize/prioritize duties
- Ability to work with constant interruptions
- Ability to maintain records and files
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education and experience equivalent to:
High school diploma or equivalent; supplemented with two (2) years of related work