Staff Job Composite
Patient Coordinator, Sr.
Job Summary:Under general supervision, provides clinical office support to ensure patient satisfaction; schedules appointments and greets patients; performs registration and check-in/out functions; verifies insurance benefits; maintains various records and databases of information; prepares correspondence.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Performs office support for the clinical practice; schedules surgeries, services, and appointments; may assist with master schedule, prepares referral forms for tests, procedures, consults with specialty physicians; obtains x-rays and test results; verifies benefits and assists with various insurance protocols; precertifies tests and procedures.
- Responsible for monitoring department’s referral queue and in-basket through Epic.
- Greets and assists visitors, patients, etc.; obtains initial patient information; answers phone calls and responds to inquiries; refers, routes, or places calls; places patient follow-up calls; serves as receptionist.
- Reviews and maintains demographic and insurance information; obtains and issues referrals.
- Responsible for payment collection and posting; reviews requisitions; prepares reports; transcribes clinical correspondence; may collaborate with billing process.
- Researches and resolves patient referral problems; oversees operations to ensure patient satisfaction.
- May collaborate with department leadership to ensure performance of daily activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures
- Knowledge of insurance plans and referral procedures
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to operate various office equipment
- Ability to operate personal computer with various software programs
- Ability to respond to questions in a tactful and professional manner
- Ability to organize/prioritize duties
- Ability to work with constant interruptions
- Ability to maintain records and files
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education and experience equivalent to:
High school diploma or equivalent; supplemented with two (2) years of related work