Staff Job Composite
Laboratory Animal Technician
Job Summary: Under immediate supervision, provides primary care of
routine husbandry and sanitation for medical education and research animals; assists with
or performs technical procedures to maintain lab animal health, departmental facility
accreditation, and research integrity.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Provides diligent and responsible animal care; feeds and waters animals; changes and
cleans cages; sanitizes equipment and facilities.
- Records and/or reports animal abnormalities including altered eating, drinking, waste
elimination, altered behavior, superficial lesions, and/or death.
- Assists with technical procedures including record keeping, animal identification,
tattooing, breeding, sexing, collecting specimens, preparing diets, and euthanasia.
- Records and/or reports environmental abnormalities.
- Provides routine physical maintenance of assigned areas; performs other duties as
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Interest and concern for animals
- Time management skills
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Attentiveness to detail
- Ability to exhibit team orientation
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Ability to operate automated watering systems, cagewasher and autoclaves
- Ability to handle unpleasant elements and wear protective clothing or equipment
Education and experience equivalent to:
High school diploma or equivalent; supplemented with one (1) year of related
experience. American Association for Laboratory Animal Sciences (AALAS) ALAT certification
or Animal Health Technician (AHT) certification preferred.