Saint Louis University’s Honors Program allows eligible students to develop an individual
course of study that complements their undergraduate major, earning an honors degree
in that discipline.
Undergraduates from any of the schools and colleges at Saint Louis University can
successfully pursue an honors degree through the University Honors Program. If you complete the program, you earn an Honors Bachelor of Arts or Honors Bachelor
of Science degree in your discipline, a distinction beyond the traditional awards
of summa cum laude, magna cum laude and cum laude, which are rewarded only for grade
You are invited to apply to the Honors Program prior to your first term of study based
upon test score results. Current students may also apply if they have completed fewer
than 45 credit hours and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Note that the St.
Louis campus determines admissibility of all students who apply to the honors program,
including those who apply from SLU-Madrid.
SLU’s Honors Program is very flexible, allowing you to adapt its requirements to your
own schedule. You must complete 24 credit hours worth of honors work, which includes:
- HR 1900: Crossroads, the freshman honors seminar
- One upper-level honors seminar
- HR 4960: Senior Honors Capstone
You may earn your additional hours in a variety of other ways, such as:
- Contract courses. You may contract a non-honors course in your major, minor or a core
curriculum requirement in order to receive honors credit. In this case the honors
requirements are determined by the professor and the director of the Honors Program.
If you pursue this option, you must change your course to Honors status within the
first two weeks of the semester in question.
- Independent study. You may undertake an independent study project in your major to
obtain honors credit.
- Honors internship. Work with Career Services to identify internship opportunities and how to meet the requirements to earn honors
- Graduate courses. Graduate courses in English and Spanish are available at the Madrid
campus every semester. Approval by the department is required.
- Study abroad. If you participate in a study abroad experience, you may earn three
hours of honors credit per semester.
- International partnership. Partner up with an international student from SLU-Madrid’s
Academic English Program as a conversation partner. You’ll meet at least five times a semester for a total
of 10 hours. You must complete the required training and written reflection to earn
honors credit. Three semesters are required in order to complete a full three-credit