SLU-Madrid's Academic English Program is the most intensive and complete academic English and TOEFL preparation course in Madrid. The program prepares students for entry into universities where the language of instruction is English.
Students should already have a high intermediate level of everyday English language skills in order to benefit from this course.
Current SLU-Madrid students tell you about their experience in the Academic English Program.
SLU-Madrid's Academic English Program offers:
- 19 hours of classes per week for 12 weeks at a U.S. University
- Small classes
- Preparation for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- Individualized tutorials, feedback and progress reports
- Access to SLU-Madrid's library, writing center and academic resources
- Access to SLU-Madrid's events, sports, clubs and organizations
- Three University credits which may later be transferred towards a U.S. B.A. or B.S. degree
About the Classes
Within the program, we offer two content-based and four English language skills-based classes. The timetable is scheduled Monday through Friday between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. A typical weekly schedule may look like this:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday:
9:30 to 10:50 a.m. - History of the Modern World
11 to 11:50 a.m. - Academic Structures/Grammar
Noon to 12:50 p.m. - Contemporary Issues
Tuesday and Thursday:
9:30 to 10:45 a.m. - Critical Reading Skills
11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. - Academic Writing Skills
12:30 to 1:45 p.m. - Oral Skills
If there are fewer than 10 students in the program, certain ESL classes may be replaced by TOEFL exam practice sessions or research projects.
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 – Friday, April 3, 2020
- Friday, September 4, 2020 – Wednesday, December 2, 2020
The cost of the program is 4,640 euros (less than 20 euros per hour of class!). Students also need to pay a confirmation fee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
In order to be admitted to SLU-Madrid's Academic English Program, students must:
- Meet SLU-Madrid's B.A./B.S. degree admissions requirements
- Show proof of their English language level. We accept:
· Duolingo English Test 45+
· TOEFL iBT 50+
· IELTS 5.5+
· TWE essay written at SLU-Madrid 2.5
Students may contact SLU-Madrid's admissions office to arrange a time to visit the campus and write an essay. The essay takes 30 minutes.
You may also be requested to set up a SKYPE interview with a member of the Admissions or ESL department.