SLU's marketing and communications division monitors the use of "friendly" web addresses, subdomains and virtual domains, and evaluates new requests with the goal of continuing to strengthen the www.slu.edu brand.
New requests must meet the following:
- The URLs should point to a distinctive service, either the top level of something big or a stand-alone entity.
- Good Uses:
- business.slu.edu (a school)
- mail.slu.edu (direct access to Web-based e-mail)
- sga.slu.edu (high profile, broad appeal student organization)
- Poor Uses:
- oca.slu.edu (School of Medicine's Office of Curricular Affairs, which has a much better and natural URL of medschool.slu.edu/curriculum)
- giftseminar.slu.edu (generic-sounding, not meaningful)
- The target audience should be chiefly external (prospective students, parents, donors), not internal SLU (employees).
- Entities will be granted a new friendly or virtual URL only if they are in the Ingeniux CMS. Non CMS-based sites will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Colleges/schools and administrative departments each may have one virtual URL.
- Special marketing, advertising and fundraising campaigns will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- There is a 20-character limit on the variable word(s).
The marketing and communications department reserves the right to evaluate all other requests.