- Tools and Downloads
Frequently Asked Questions About SLU's CMS
General questions? If you have questions that are not covered below, you may find valuable information in the Ingeniux software by using the Help button located in the top toolbar (next to the "Go To" box).
5 Things to Remember About the CMS
- Your CMS username is your SLU Net ID. Your password is the same one you use to log in to Windows and mySLU.
- The CMS is like the library. You check out the page to use it (write new content, edit old content, etc.) and check in the page when you're finished with it.
Please note: Checking in a page tells the CMS that that page is ready to be made live. If you're editing a page and have to stop for some reason, do NOT check in the page; leave it checked out and return to it later.
- Images and documents that you want to upload cannot have spaces in their filenames.
- Pages must be marked for publish in order to be published and go live.
- Publishing isn't immediate. Check the Publish Monitor to know when to expect your newly published pages to be displayed on the live website.
How do I log in?
- Open a browser window. (You may use any browser you'd like; the web services team recommends Firefox or Chrome.)
- Type http://cms.slu.edu in the address line and hit Enter. This will bring you to the Ingeniux CMS Login box.
- In "Username," enter your SLU Net ID.
- In "Password," enter the same password you use to log in to your computer, mySLU, etc.
- Click the "Login" button.
What do the CMS buttons mean?
Below is a small sample of the buttons you can use to navigate the CMS.
When you're in the system, you'll notice other buttons in the main toolbar and Body Copy field. If there's a button you'd like to know about that isn't included here, situate the mouse-pointer on it, and the system will provide a description for you.
|New [Folder, Page or Component]||Save|
|Check Out||Check In|
|Upload an Asset||Insert Link|
How do I create a page?
Please note: Only certain users have permission to create pages in the CMS. If you attempt to create a page using the directions that follow and you cannot, please ask your CMS administrator or submit a question to the CMS Help Request Form to check your CMS permissions.
- In the Site Tree, select the folder where you want the page to appear, and then click the New button in the top toolbar, then click Page. (You also may right-click on the folder, and choose New and then Page.)
- In the pop-up window, enter a name for the page. (This name will appear in the Site Tree once the page is created.)
- In the Select Type drop-down list, you will see the option for page types. Select "Detail"as it provides a basic template for a standard SLU page.
- Click Create.
- In each field on the page, select the appropriate item for your area or group. You can view your existing pages to verify the selections your page requires.
- When all the required fields are completed, check in the page.
- Clicking Mark/Unmark For Publish and select "Mark for Publish."
- Move the page to the desired location in your navigation by clicking on the page name in the Site Tree and dragging that item into position.
- Publish the page parent and all children.
How do I copy a page?
Please note: Only certain users have permission to copy pages in the CMS. If you attempt to copy a page using the directions that follow and you cannot, please ask your CMS administrator or submit a question to the CMS Help Request Form to check your CMS permissions.
- In the Site Tree, highlight/select an existing single Detail page that has no children.
- Right click and select "Copy".
- In the Site Tree, highlight the parent page under which the new page will reside.
- Right click and select "Paste."
- Now you will see the new page first in the tree under the parent you selected. This copy is not yet marked for publish.
- Check out the page and edit the content as needed.
- In each field on the page, select the appropriate item for your area or group. you can view your existing pages to verify
- Check in the page.
- Mark the page for publish.
- Move the page to the desired location within the folder by clicking on the page name in the Site Tree and dragging that item.
- Publish the page parent and all children.
How do I edit a page?
Once a page is checked out, you can change the following fields in the Edit Form:
Header Category - Required
Choose from a drop-down menu your college, school or administrative division.Profile Category (a.k.a. Web Banners)
Here, you can choose which Web banners will appear on the page. The banners are categorized according to department, and you'll be able to choose one of the categories from a drop-down menu. This is not a required field, and the default setting is not to display banners; you must choose a category so that the banners appear.
Title - Required
The title will appear both above the body copy and in the title bar on the published page. You can change the wording, but the formatting is dictated by a stylesheet.
Abstract - Required
The abstract gives a brief description of what's on the page. This doesn't show up on the published page, but will be used as its meta description, which will display on search engine returns and can affect search engine optimization (SEO). Be concise; this description must be 256 characters or fewer.Body Copy
This is where you'll add content to the body of the page. You may add text, links, images and more.
Tips about the Body Copy Field
- Maximizing the Window
To maximize your view as you work, you can drag the bottom right corner of the field to enlarge the Body Copy field so that you can see more of the content without scrolling.
- Creating Paragraphs
When you hit the Enter key while typing text, you will define that text as a separate block from whatever text you type next (i.e. a paragraph). Because the stylesheet automatically creates appropriate space between separate text blocks (paragraphs), you don't have to hit Enter twice in a row (i.e. a double-return) to add space manually. Along the same lines, you should avoid double-spacing between sentences -- one space after a period/question mark/exclamation point is plenty.
- Creating 'Soft' Returns
Occasionally you will want to keep text together as one block but manually break to a new line rather than letting the built-in word-wrapping determine the breaks (i.e. a "soft" return). This may be the case when you want to keep a phone number, date or other piece of information on one line, or when the first few words of a block need to stand out from the rest of the block, e.g. a phrase on one line followed by its definition starting on the next.
To create a "soft" return, hold down the Shift key while hitting Enter.
- Pasting Text
Whenever possible, you should paste text directly into the CMS from a simple text editor. To paste text from other applications, use the "Paste as Plain Text option" in the body copy toolbar.
- Editing Toolbar
The Body Copy field has an editing toolbar above it that looks and functions much like the toolbar in Microsoft Word. After you type or paste in text, you can use the buttons in the toolbar to change the appearance of the text (bold, centered, etc.) or add features (links, images, etc.) to your copy. Roll the mouse over a button to learn its purpose Most are self-explanatory, but if you need help, please contact us.
If you accidentally do something that needs to be undone (e.g. underlining or double-spacing), simply click as many times as necessary to get back to where you want to be.
Click to redo what you've undone.
Create a numbered list by first selecting existing copy blocks then clicking this button, or by clicking the button then typing in the items in the list, hitting enter after each one.
We recommend using bullets rather than numbers unless you really think people need to follow a set process or will refer to the items in the list by the number.Create a bulleted list by first selecting existing copy blocks then clicking this button, or by clicking the button then typing in the items in the list, hitting enter after each one.
If you select one or more words with your cursor, you can click this button to open the Insert/edit link box.
This button italicizes text that you have highlighted before clicking it. Italicized text is harder to read onscreen than on paper. Avoid as much as possible.
This button underlines text that you have highlighted. Don't do it! Users see underlined items as links — and expect that they can click on anything underlined to get to related information. If you underline without linking, you risk confusing and frustrating users.
What is the proper way to paste text into the body copy field?
Copying and pasting text can drag unwanted code and formatting onto your pages. For that reason, if you are pasting text from outside the CMS, please do so by using the "Paste as Plain Text option" in the body copy toolbar.
Can I edit the HTML code of a page?
If you're proficient with coding HTML, you can edit the source code for a page in the CMS by following these steps:
- In the Body Copy toolbar, in the top left corner, select the HTML icon.
- Enter code changes as desired.
- Click the Update button in the bottom left corner to save any changes made.
How do I upload an image?
- Make sure your image is no wider than 670 pixels, is saved as a JPG or PNG, and is named appropriately (the file name cannot contain spaces).
- Click on the Assets button in the top menu bar. This will bring up the Manage Assets box.
- On the left side of the Manage Assets box, expand the "Images" folder and navigate to the subfolder where you'll be saving your image.
- On the top right side of the Manage Assets box, click "Upload."
- Click "Select File to Upload." This will bring up the file system for your computer. Navigate to wherever you've saved the image file. Click "Open."
- If the file is replacing one that has been uploaded previously, select "Replace Existing File."
- Click the "Upload" button.
How do I edit an image?
After you have uploaded an image into your Assets folder, you may want to edit your image, particularly if the image is very large. The CMS allows you to easily resize your images by following these steps:
- In the toolbar that runs across the top of the CMS page, click the Assets button. A dialog box should appear on your screen.
- Locate your image in the "Images" folder. After you have highlighted the image you want to edit, click the "Edit Image" icon in the toolbar that runs across the top of the dialog box. (It should be the second icon from the right.) A new dialog box should appear on your screen.
- Select the "Resize" button in the toolbar at the top of the dialog box.
- A small box will appear over your image where you can change the width (in pixels) of your image. If the "Keep Aspect Ratio" box is checked, the height of your image will automatically adjust to be in proportion with the width you just entered.
- REMEMBER: The widest image you can use in the body copy field is 670 pixels.
- Click the green check mark to confirm your changes.
- Select "Save Changes."
Other features in the Edit Image toolbar include:
- Crop: Allows you to cut out parts of an image that you don't want
- Rotate: Allows you to turn an image in 90 degree intervals
- Flip: Allows you to flip an image both vertically and horizontally
How do insert an image into the body copy field?
Follow these steps to insert an image on a page.
- In the Body Copy field, place your cursor where you want the image to appear.
- Click the Insert/edit image button in the Body Copy toolbar.
You also can right-click and choose "Insert/edit image" from the pop-up menu. The Image Properties window will pop up.
- Click Browse (at the end of the empty Image URL field) to open the Ingeniux CMS Image Browser. (This may take a moment or two while the thumbnails load.)
- One the left side of the Image Browser window, select the folder where you uploaded your image. Browse to find your image, and click on it to select it. Hit the Select button at the bottom of the Image Browser.
- When you're back in the Insert/edit image window, enter a description of the image in the Image description field. This text will display when your mouse hovers over an image. The text also will show instead of your image in all text-only browsers, to provide an aural equivalent to users who cannot see. NOTE: Accessibility laws and SLU minimum standards require this!
- On the "Appearance" tab, select your preferred alignment from the drop-down menu. If you want a border around the image, change the value in the Border field (in pixels). To create space between surrounding text and your image, change the Padding values in the Horizontal and Vertical fields to your preferred spacing (in pixels).
- Click Insert.
How do I insert a table?
Please refer to these examples that explain HTML tables.
How do I upload a document?
Follow these steps to upload a Microsoft Word, PDF or other document. NOTE: The file name of your document cannot contain any spaces. If it does, save the file under a different name and upload that version.
- Click on the Assets button in the CMS main toolbar. This will bring up the Manage Assets box.
- On the left side of the Manage Assets box, choose/expand the Documents folder, then navigate to the subfolder where you'll be saving your document (all of your documents need to be saved in your site's documents folder).
- On the top right side of the Manage Assets box, click on "Upload."
- Click "Select File to Upload." This will bring up the file system for your computer. Navigate to wherever you've saved the document file on your computer. Once you've found the file, click on it and then click "Open."
- If the file is replacing one that has been uploaded previously, click the box next to "Replace Existing File."
- Click the "Upload."
How do I create or remove a link?
- To Create a link, first highlight the text the user will click on
- Next Click on the LINK icon in the menubar or right-click and select Insert/Edit Link
- In the Link To field, Select external
- In the PAGE field, paste or type in the destination URL for the link
- In the TARGET field, Select if the link will open in the current window or a new one
- In the TITLE field, paste or type in the ALT Text to be displayed for the link
- Click Insert. This will create the link on the page.
- To Remove a link, first select the link you wish to remove by highlighting it.
- Right-click on the selected link, and choose "Unlink" from the drop-down menu or click the Unlink icon in the Body Copy toolbar.
- The link should now be removed from the existing text.
How do I publish a page?
- Make sure the page you want to publish is checked in and highlighted in the site tree.
- Right-click the highlighted page (if you're using a Mac hold Ctrl as you click), and select "Check In" from the menu. (You can also click the "Check In" button located in the toolbar across the top of the CMS page.)
- Right-click on your highlighted page again, and select "Mark For Publish" from the menu. After you select "Mark For Publish", your page name in the site tree should be in bold. This means your page is ready to be published.
- Right-click on your highlighted page again, and select "Publish" in the menu.
- In the box that appears, click on "University Site" and then "Incremental".
- A box will tell you that your publishing request was successfully submitted and ask you about viewing the publish monitor. Select "Open Publish Monitor" if you'd like to track the progress of your publish request in the publish queue, or "Close" if you don't.
- It may take some time for your changes to go in effect after you have published your content.
What if I don't want a page to appear in my navigation?
The CMS allows you to hide a live page from navigation so that you have more control over who can find your page. Be aware that a published page that is hidden in left navigation can still appear in Google searches and searches within SLU's website. This does not give you complete control over who can see your pages, but it does make your pages harder to find.
To build a page that is not listed in left navigation follow these steps:
- In the site tree, highlight your homepage (the top page in the navigation tree).
- In the toolbar located across the top of the CMS page, click "New" and then select "Folder."
- A dialog box will appear on your screen prompting you to name your folder. You may want to give it a name like "hidden pages" so you know what the folder contains. Click "Create Folder."
- Drag the folder to the bottom of your navigation tree.
- If the page you want hidden already exists in navigation, simply drag it into the folder. If you are building a new page that you want hidden, follow the steps for publishing a live page and then drag the page into your folder (or just create the new page in that folder).
- Make sure all the pages you wish to publish are Checked In.
- In the site tree, right-click on your homepage. Hover your cursor over "Publish" and select "Page and Children."
How do I hide or delete a page?
If one of your pages is no longer relevant and you want to remove it altogether, just follow these steps:
- In the Site Tree, highlight the page that you want to delete.
- Right-click the highlighted page (if you're using a Mac hold Ctrl as you click), and select "Unmark For Publish" from the menu.
- Right-click on the highlighted page again and select "Delete" from the menu.
Note: You will need to wait for a full publish of the CMS before your content will be removed from the website. Only the web services team has the ability to do a full publish of the CMS. Full publishes occur regularly.