Major in Mathematics
Offered by the Saint Louis University College of Arts and Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in mathematics
- Minor in mathematics
- Minor in engineering mathematics
- Minor in actuarial mathematics
Saint Louis University Mathematics Degree OverviewSaint Louis University's undergraduate degree in mathematics is complemented by SLU's comprehensive liberal arts core; a well-rounded education can make you more attractive to future employers. Our undergraduate math curriculum also has room for you to customize your degree by adding a second major or concentration.
If you choose to major in mathematics at SLU, you'll benefit from a program that allows faculty to get to know students and give individual advice. You may be recruited to participate in math contests or other opportunities. The department also has research groups in algebra, analysis, geometry, and topology.
What You'll Learn in SLU's Mathematics Degree ProgramUndergraduate students in SLU's mathematics degree program take a basic core of mathematics courses before choosing to focus their upper level studies in one of three areas:
- Pure Mathematics Track: This option is for students intending to go on to graduate work in one of the mathematical sciences and involves two year-long sequences in mathematics.
- Applied Mathematics Track: This option is for students who intend to pursue a career in a field where mathematics is applied and involves two year-long sequences in mathematics.
- Teaching Track: This option is for students who are planning a career in secondary education and features courses that meet the requirements for state certification in mathematics.
What Can You Do With a Degree in Mathematics from SLU?An undergraduate degree in mathematics prepares you to enter the workforce as a teacher, actuary or consultant. You might also choose to pursue a minor or coursework that prepares your for jobs in finance, operations research, actuarial science, bioinformatics or cryptography.
An undergraduate degree in mathematics can also be an excellent foundation for graduate or professional programs in that field or in business administration, computer science, physics, meteorology, medicine or education, among others. Recent mathematics graduates from SLU have entered careers at companies or government agencies such as:
- Shell Oil
- National Imaging and Mapping Agency