- Policy & Procedure
E-Mail Etiquette Expectations
- Provide your full name and Banner ID number.
- Be brief--use short, complete sentences.
- Include important details (if relevant: course name, CRN#, section#).
- Do not type in all capital or lower-case letters. If you need to emphasize text, use bold or underline.
- Write professionally. Use correct grammar and punctuation and refrain from using emoticons, and text abbreviations.
- Be polite.
- Save important e-mail correspondence as documentation of conversations for later reference.
- Use a clear subject line such as "Summer Class Question"
Below is a sample e-mail that would be appropriate to send to your advisor or another member of the SLU campus community:
Dear Mr. Johnson,
My name is Susie Billiken (Banner ID #000123456), and I am your advisee. I would like to talk with you about summer coursework and transferring credit to SLU. I am hoping to take a History course at a community college in my home town. What is the process for verifying that this credit will be acceptable to SLU and my academic department?
I would be happy to discuss this over e-mail or in person. Please let me know what might be best for you.